Adult and Graduate Programs at Goshen College is looking for an experienced English language Instructor to teach English classes at all levels three days and/or nights per week throughout the duration of the program. The English as a New Language program is available for adult learners of all levels in our community.
The ENL instructor is responsible for teaching English classes at all levels three days and/or nights per week throughout the duration of the program. This includes 2 hours of paid classroom time and 2 hours of paid preparation time per class session. Normally, the program runs for 16 weeks per semester, Tuesday through Thursday, 9-11am in Elkhart and 6-8pm in Goshen, twice a year. In the fall, the semester runs from August to December, and in the spring, from January to May. In addition to the 16 weeks of class, there will be a couple weeks (TBD) where instructors will need to assist with evaluations and testing during registration sessions. There will also be a day before the beginning of the semester when the ENL program team will have a meeting in preparation for the classes.
- Provide thoughtful, interactive English language instruction to students throughout the duration of the course
- Support students in identifying their own personal learning objectives and making the instructional design responsive to these objectives
- Keep accurate records of attendance and homework hours
- Promote motivation to lead students through successful course completion
- Prepare two emergency lesson plans that can be used by a substitute in case the instructor cannot attend a class
- Develop a syllabus and course calendar that addresses the learning objectives outlined in the curriculum
- Prepare and make available on a daily basis lesson plans that describe learning objectives and learning activities
- Provide support during registration and evaluation sessions as needed
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree
- 2+ years experience teaching English as a Second Language
- 2+ years work experience with immigrant communities of diverse backgrounds
- Certificate in teaching English to speakers of other languages (TESOL) or related subject is preferred
Skills and Competencies
- Have a warm, positive personality with eagerness to meet and help people
- Be able to listen to others, process information, and communicate effectively
- Embrace the mission, vision, and values of Goshen College
- Have the ability to communicate at a basic level in Spanish (this level of language competency is preferred)
Within the normal range of a class environment. Includes sitting or standing for long periods of time, climbing stairs, viewing a computer screen for long periods of time. Work involves light lifting (up to 25 pounds).
Work Environment/Environmental Condition
All of the essential job functions are subject to reasonable accommodation. All job requirements listed indicate the minimum level of knowledge, skills and/or ability deemed necessary to perform the job proficiently. This job description is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements. Individuals may be required to perform other job-related instructions as requested by the supervisor, subject to reasonable accommodation. This position description is not all-inclusive and may change at the option of the Director of Community Engagement and Adult Outreach and/or the Director of Adult and Graduate Programs. Any major change will result in the position being reviewed for reclassification.
The English Language Instructor will report to the Director of Community Engagement and Adult Outreach.
How to Apply:
If you are applying through Indeed or another search engine, please make sure to go to www.goshen.edu/employment to apply.
Please be sure to provide all required materials noted below, as incomplete applications may not be considered. Application materials may be attached to the Faculty Information Form or sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Complete the online Faculty Information Form
- Cover letter
Goshen College is an equal opportunity employer, committed to enhancing diversity across the institution. Goshen College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or any legally protected status. To protect the welfare and provide for the safety of the students, employees, visitors, and resources of Goshen College, background checks are conducted by the Office of Human Resources on all new and re-hired employees.
This job description is not intended to provide an all-inclusive listing of related job activities. The instructor may be requested by management to perform other related activities in place of or in addition to those representative activities noted in this job description. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
1700 S. Main Street
Goshen, IN 46526-4795
Telephone: (574) 535-7111