Goshen College invites applications for a full-time, tenure-track Assistant or Associate Professor of Biology with a specialization in cell biology, microbiology, molecular biology or related field to begin July 1, 2022.
Primary teaching responsibilities will include Cell Biology & Genetics, Microbiology, Advanced Cell Biology, Advanced Molecular Biology, and/or a class in the candidate’s area of specialty. Incorporating advanced biotechnology techniques into these courses and undergraduate research is expected. Faculty members are expected to develop research projects suitable for the department’s required senior thesis program.
We seek a colleague with exceptional teaching skills and a commitment to mentoring students via an undergraduate research program. Our Molecular Biology & Biochemistry alumni consistently gain admittance into Ph.D. programs and medical school. Goshen College ranks second in Indiana in the percent of alumni – per capita – who go on to earn a Ph.D. Campus facilities include excellent on-campus laboratories for teaching and research and a 1, 189 acre field station (Merry Lea Environmental Learning Center) 30 miles from campus. Goshen College faculty are also eligible to apply to teach in our nationally ranked study abroad program, which includes semesters in Ecuador, Tanzania, China, Indonesia, and Senegal.
The Biology department offers bachelor of arts degrees in Biology, Molecular Biology/Biochemistry, and Environmental and Marine Science. A minor is offered in Environmental Studies. All teaching faculty serve on institution-wide committees and assist with advising, as well as recruiting prospective students. The successful candidate must be ready to contribute to our strong tradition of excellence in research and publication as well as teaching. Candidates must be interested in working closely with students and fellow faculty members as a part of a small, vibrant campus and community.
Education and Experience:
- Ph.D. in Biology or related field is preferred; Master’s degree in Biology with significant professional experience will be considered.
- Commitment to teaching at a liberal arts school
- Commitment to curriculum development
- Commitment to working with a diverse student body
- Commitment to the mission and core values of Goshen College
- Collaborative, innovative teacher-scholar dedicated to undergraduate teaching in an inclusive academic and campus community.
- Excellent aptitude and ability in teaching and educational technology
- Mentorship of student research
- Active engagement in research and publishing
- Ability to establish positive working relationships with colleagues and students
- Contribute knowledge and ideas to department and college endeavors
About Goshen College
Goshen College is a Christian liberal arts institution that prepares students to thrive in life, leadership and service. We rank nationally in the top five of liberal arts colleges for international education , with 71% of the student body studying abroad. We strive to model an inclusive community committed to transformative justice, peace, and sustainability.
The college is located in the heart of Elkhart County, within several hours of Chicago, Indianapolis, and Detroit. Residents of Goshen enjoy a culturally diverse small-town atmosphere with an active arts community, a vibrant and entrepreneurial downtown, the Maple City Greenway network of bicycle paths, and affordable housing prices.
How to Apply
Please be sure to provide all required materials noted below, as incomplete applications may not be considered. Application materials may be attached to the Faculty Application Form or sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Complete the online Faculty Information Form
- Letter of Application
- Curriculum Vitae
- List of three professional references with contact information
- Graduate and undergraduate transcripts (copies acceptable in application process with official transcripts required for employment)
Review of applications will begin January 5, 2022, and continue until the position is filled. With a commitment to building a diverse faculty and staff, underrepresented persons are encouraged to apply.
Goshen College is an equal opportunity employer, committed to enhancing diversity across the institution. Goshen College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or any legally protected status. To protect the welfare and provide for the safety of the students, employees, visitors and resources of Goshen College, background checks are conducted by the Office of Human Resources on all new and re-hired employees.
1700 S. Main Street
Goshen, IN 46526-4795
Telephone: (574) 535-7111