Goshen College invites applications for a full-time Assistant or Associate Professor of Social Work tenure-track faculty position starting August 2020. A minimum of two years of post-MSW experience is required. Teaching experience, a BSW, and a Ph.D. are preferred.
Teaching responsibilities will be in the Social Work Program with both traditional and adult students, with an emphasis on policy and community practice. In addition to teaching, the position includes advising and mentoring an increasingly diverse student body (41% of our traditional undergrads identify as members of underrepresented groups), supporting departmental co-curriculars, and nurturing Program relationships with community agencies.
The Social Work Program offers a major in Social Work in two tracks, a BA and a BS, and has been continuously accredited for 40 years.
Goshen College is a teaching college with a 4-3-1 load, and all teaching faculty serve on institution-wide committees and assist with advising, as well as recruiting prospective students. The successful candidate must be ready to contribute to our strong tradition of excellence in research and publication as well as teaching. Candidates must be interested in working closely with students and fellow faculty members as part of a small, vibrant campus and community.
- Prepare course syllabi for assigned courses in collaboration with department chair
- Teach assigned courses with appropriate active and engaged learning practices
- Develop courses when needed for the Social Work major
- Teach across the Social Work curriculum including Field Instruction, with a special emphasis on policy and community practice
- Mentor students through advising
- Assist with recruiting activities as needed
- Participate in department, school and college meetings
- Pursue appropriate professional development opportunities, including scholarly activities
- Complete other assigned duties
- Students in assigned courses
- Student workers in department as needed
Education and Experience:
- MSW from an accredited social work program with two years of post-MSW experience
- Demonstrated excellence in teaching at the college/university level or commensurate agency-based experience
- Commitment to the BSW as a beginning level of professional social work practice
- Commitment to working with diverse populations, including both traditional and degree completion students
- Commitment to the mission and core values of Goshen College
- Collaborative, innovative teacher-scholar dedicated to undergraduate teaching in an inclusive academic and campus community.
- Excellent aptitude and ability in teaching
- Supervision of agency-based learning and mentorship of student research
- Active engagement with community organizations
- Public speaking, public relations, and technology
- Ability to establish positive working relationships with colleagues and students
- Contribute knowledge and ideas to department and college endeavors
- Ph.D. or ABD
- Demonstrated excellence in teaching at the college/university level
- Social work licensure or social work credentials
- Experience in living and/or working in a developing country context
- Scholarly publications and/or active engagement in research
About Goshen College:
Goshen College is an affordable, nationally-ranked Christian liberal arts college in Northern Indiana known for leadership in intercultural and international education, sustainability and social justice. The college offers bachelor’s degrees in more than 65 areas of study, as well as select graduate degrees. Goshen enrolls approximately 950 students from 35 states and 23 countries and is recognized for its innovative, life-changing study abroad program (Study-Service Term) and exceptional educational value. The 135-acre tree-filled campus features a world-class Music Center and a Rec-Fitness Center for 14 intercollegiate athletic teams. The extended campus includes a 1,189-acre natural sanctuary (the Merry Lea Environmental Learning Center near Wolf Lake, Ind.) and a marine biology lab in the Florida Keys. Rooted in the historically peaceful Mennonite church and established in 1894, the college’s Christ-centered mission produces passionate learners, compassionate peacemakers, global citizens and servant leaders. The college’s doors are open to all, with students from 40 different Christian denominations and several world religions. Experiential learning, faculty mentors and strong friendships are significant community strengths for students.
The college is located in the heart of Elkhart County in Northern Indiana, just a couple of hours from Chicago, Indianapolis and Detroit. Goshen was named the 2017 Indiana Community of the Year by the Indiana Chamber of Commerce for its amazing arts and entertainment, food scene, recreational opportunities, outstanding schools, affordable living, cultural diversity and entrepreneurial spirit. Learn more at goodofgoshen.com.
How to Apply:
If you are applying through Indeed or another search engine, please make sure to go to www.goshen.edu/employment to apply.
Please be sure to provide all required materials noted below, as incomplete applications may not be considered. Application materials may be attached to the Faculty Information Form or sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Complete the online Faculty Information Form
- Letter of application
- Curriculum Vitae
- Three professional letters of recommendation
- Graduate and undergraduate transcripts (copies acceptable in the application process with official transcripts required for employment)
Review of applications will begin on March 2, 2020, and continue until the position is filled. With a commitment to building a diverse faculty and staff, minority persons are encouraged to apply.
Goshen College is an equal opportunity employer, committed to enhancing diversity across the institution. Goshen College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or any legally protected status.
To protect the welfare and provide for the safety of the students, employees, visitors, and resources of Goshen College, background checks are conducted by the Office of Human Resources on all new and re-hired employees.
1700 S. Main Street
Goshen, IN 46526-4795
Telephone: (574) 535-7111