Goshen College invites applications for an Assistant or Associate Professor of Theater to teach theater history and/or design/technical courses beginning in August 2020. The position is .75 FTE with benefits. Candidates with experience in two or more of the following areas preferred: theater history, design/technical theater, applied/devised theater, communication and humanities. Experience with theater administration, directing, and/or production design is also desirable.
Primary teaching responsibilities will be in the areas of theater as stated above as well as directing one production per year. Teaching responsibilities will also include survey level courses for the CORE (general education) program in the areas of communication or humanities. In addition to teaching and directing, the position includes advising and mentoring an increasingly diverse student body and supporting departmental co-curriculars.
The department offers a theater major and minors in theater, musical theater, and theater education. Members of the department have opportunities to develop courses within their expertise and are expected to provide leadership for student productions.
Goshen College is a teaching college with a 4-3-1 load for full-time faculty, in this position, 18 credit hours per year will be expected. All teaching faculty serve on institution-wide committees and assist with advising, as well as recruiting prospective students. The successful candidate must be ready to contribute to our strong tradition of excellence in creative work, research, and publication as well as teaching. Candidates must be interested in working closely with students and fellow faculty members as part of a small, vibrant campus and community.
- Prepare course syllabi for assigned courses in collaboration with department chair and GC Core director
- Teach assigned courses with appropriate active and engaged learning practices
- Mentor students through advising and participate in recruitment activities
- Participate in the department’s production season including 4 productions each year, senior recitals and the Umble MasterClass.
- Participate in department, school and college meetings
- Pursue appropriate professional development opportunities, including scholarly activities
- Complete other duties as assigned
- Students in assigned courses
- Students in assigned production roles
- Student workers in department as needed
Education and Experience:
- MA or MFA in Theater required (completed by August 2020)
- Demonstrated excellence in teaching at the college/university level
- Evidence of successful theater production record
- Commitment to teaching in the CORE, including interdisciplinary courses outside of Theater
- Commitment to working with diverse populations
- Commitment to the mission and core values of Goshen College
- Collaborative, innovate teacher-scholars dedicated to undergraduate teaching in an inclusive academic and campus community.
- Excellent aptitude and ability in teaching
- Mentorship of student production work
- Active engagement in creative work and research
- Interest in community collaboration and service
- Ability to establish positive working relationships with colleagues and students
- Contribute knowledge and ideas to department and college endeavors
- Ph.D. in Theater or related area preferred
- Arts related masters degree considered
- Experience teaching diverse college students
- Scholarly publications and/or professional production work
About Goshen College:
Goshen College is an affordable, nationally-ranked Christian liberal arts college in Northern Indiana known for leadership in intercultural and international education, sustainability and social justice. The college offers bachelor’s degrees in more than 65 areas of study, as well as select graduate degrees. Goshen enrolls approximately 950 students from 35 states and 23 countries and is recognized for its innovative, life-changing study abroad program (Study-Service Term) and exceptional educational value. The 135-acre tree-filled campus features a world-class Music Center and a Rec-Fitness Center for 14 intercollegiate athletic teams. The extended campus includes a 1,189-acre natural sanctuary (the Merry Lea Environmental Learning Center near Wolf Lake, Ind.) and a marine biology lab in the Florida Keys. Rooted in the historically peaceful Mennonite church and established in 1894, the college’s Christ-centered mission produces passionate learners, compassionate peacemakers, global citizens and servant leaders. The college’s doors are open to all, with students from 40 different Christian denominations and several world religions. Experiential learning, faculty mentors and strong friendships are significant community strengths for students.
The college is located in the heart of Elkhart County in Northern Indiana, just a couple of hours from Chicago, Indianapolis and Detroit. Goshen was named the 2017 Indiana Community of the Year by the Indiana Chamber of Commerce for its amazing arts and entertainment, food scene, recreational opportunities, outstanding schools, affordable living, cultural diversity and entrepreneurial spirit. Learn more at goodofgoshen.com.
How to Apply:
If you are applying through Indeed or another search engine, please make sure to go to www.goshen.edu/employment to apply.
Please be sure to provide all required materials noted above, as incomplete applications may not be considered. Application materials may be attached to the Faculty Information Form or sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Complete the online Faculty Information Form
- Letter of application
- Curriculum Vitae
- Three professional letters of recommendation
- Graduate and undergraduate transcripts (copies acceptable in the application process with official transcripts required for employment)
Review of applications will begin on March 1, 2020, and continue until the position is filled. With a commitment to building a diverse faculty and staff, minority persons are encouraged to apply.
Goshen College is an equal opportunity employer, committed to enhancing diversity across the institution. Goshen College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or any legally protected status.
To protect the welfare and provide for the safety of the students, employees, visitors, and resources of Goshen College, background checks are conducted by the Office of Human Resources on all new and re-hired employees.
1700 S. Main Street
Goshen, IN 46526-4795
Telephone: (574) 535-7111