Goshen College invites applications for a full-time Goshen College Technical Director (GCTD). The GCTD oversees and coordinates all technical components for the Goshen College Performance Venues including the Umble Center, Music Center and events in other ad hoc campus venues. Additionally, the GCTD serves as the technical director for the GC Theater Department. Duties include coordinating technical aspects and stage setups for performances in the Music Center and the Umble Center; knowledge and management of all performance venue equipment and systems, including rigging, scene shop, audio, lighting, and soft goods; training students on venue equipment. The GCTD will design or oversee student designers for Theater department performances, as well as coordinate, supervise, and mentor running crews for performances.
This is a full-time, for the academic year (mid August-mid June) position with benefits.
- B.A. with an emphasis in the performing arts required.
- Demonstrated experience in technical theater including set construction, lighting, audio, rigging, scene painting.
- Theater design experience preferred.
Certifications, Licenses, Registrations:
- Valid driver’s license required, rigging seminar, OSHA, CPR
- Mechanical, practical physics, practical chemistry, construction, basic electrical theory, audio signal flow, theatrical lighting control, power tool operation, and maintenance, ability to read and interpret lighting and stage designs, creative use of stage construction materials.
- Supervisory, administrative, organizational, client request interpretation, stage management, show budgeting.
- Theater aesthetics, performance aesthetics.
- Computer skills including word processing, database, spreadsheet, CAD, calendar, web-browser
- Stooping, crawling, reaching, heavy lifting, talking, hearing, seeing, climbing, balance.
- Must be comfortable working at heights.
- Majority light work with periodic heavy lifting.
- Constant sensory and anticipatory awareness of surroundings with regard to safety and quality of the environment.
- Must be available evenings and weekends
Candidates must be committed to the community standards, mission and core values of Goshen College.
About Goshen College:
Goshen College is an affordable, nationally-ranked Christian liberal arts college in Northern Indiana known for leadership in intercultural and international education, sustainability and social justice. The college offers bachelor’s degrees in more than 65 areas of study, as well as select graduate degrees. Goshen enrolls approximately 950 students from 35 states and 23 countries and is recognized for its innovative, life-changing study abroad program (Study-Service Term) and exceptional educational value. The 135-acre tree-filled campus features a world-class Music Center and a Rec-Fitness Center for 14 intercollegiate athletic teams. The extended campus includes a 1,189-acre natural sanctuary (the Merry Lea Environmental Learning Center near Wolf Lake, Ind.) and a marine biology lab in the Florida Keys. Rooted in the historically peaceful Mennonite church and established in 1894, the college’s Christ-centered mission produces passionate learners, compassionate peacemakers, global citizens and servant leaders. The college’s doors are open to all, with students from 40 different Christian denominations and several world religions. Experiential learning, faculty mentors and strong friendships are significant community strengths for students.
The college is located in the heart of Elkhart County in Northern Indiana, just a couple of hours from Chicago, Indianapolis and Detroit. Goshen was named the 2017 Indiana Community of the Year by the Indiana Chamber of Commerce for its amazing arts and entertainment, food scene, recreational opportunities, outstanding schools, affordable living, cultural diversity and entrepreneurial spirit. Learn more at goodofgoshen.com.
How to Apply:
If you are applying through Indeed or another search engine, please make sure to go to www.goshen.edu/employment to apply.
Please be sure to provide all required materials noted below, as incomplete applications may not be considered. Application materials may be attached to the Staff Information Form or sent electronically to email@example.com.
- Complete and submit the online Staff Application Form
- Cover Letter
- List of three professional references with contact information
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Goshen College is an equal opportunity employer, committed to enhancing diversity across the institution. Goshen College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or any legally protected status. To protect the welfare and provide for the safety of the students, employees, visitors, and resources of Goshen College, background checks are conducted by the Office of Human Resources on all new and re-hired employees.
1700 S. Main Street
Goshen, IN 46526-4795
Telephone: (574) 535-7111