Goshen College invites applications for a full-time, 12-month appointment as Department Chair of Nursing at the Associate or Full Professor level to provide leadership to our four Nursing programs and teach in the area of expertise.
The department offers four programs of study: basic baccalaureate, degree completion, family nurse practitioner at the master’s level, and the doctor of nursing practice. Primary responsibilities are to provide leadership to these programs which includes strategic planning, schedule course offerings, update curriculum, evaluate faculty, manage budget, and represent the department on campus and in the community. Teaching responsibilities will be determined based on strengths of applicants’ curriculum vitae. The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate excellence in administrative responsibilities, teaching and clinical experience. The position includes advising and mentoring an increasingly diverse student body and supporting departmental professional activities.
The department of nursing, a CCNE accredited institution, has provided baccalaureate nursing education for over sixty years. The department of nursing is highly regarded for preparing excellent, culturally sensitive, clinically skillful nurses well-grounded in theory and able to think critically. The department chair reports to the academic dean.
Goshen College is a teaching college and all teaching faculty serve on institution-wide committees to assist with advising, as well as recruiting prospective students. Candidates must be interested in working closely with students and fellow faculty members as part of a small, vibrant campus and community.
- Lead long-range strategic planning for the department
- Skilled teaching in area of expertise
- Recommend changes to the requirements for majors or program changes to the academic dean and academic affairs committee
- Plan faculty teaching loads and course offerings
- Lead regular faculty evaluation processes and make recommendations for faculty promotion and tenure
- Approve requests for faculty development and absence from campus
- Manage annual budget allocations from operating and above budget accounts
- Promote the department to prospective students, future faculty and community members
- Maintain department records, equipment and files
- Respond to student complaints and manage student conduct issues in cooperation with academic and student affairs
Education and Experience:
- Doctoral degree in nursing or related field
- Eligibility for nursing licensure in Indiana
- Experience managing an academic department
- Teaching experience in higher education
- Demonstrated excellence in clinical practice
- Commitment to working with diverse populations
- Commitment to the mission and core values of Goshen College
- Excellent aptitude and ability in teaching and clinical practice
- Ability to establish positive working relationships with colleagues and students
- Contribute knowledge and ideas to department and college endeavors
- Collaborative management style
About Goshen College:
Goshen College is an affordable, nationally-ranked Christian liberal arts college in Northern Indiana known for leadership in intercultural and international education, sustainability and social justice. The college offers bachelor’s degrees in more than 65 areas of study, as well as select graduate degrees. Goshen enrolls approximately 950 students from 35 states and 23 countries and is recognized for its innovative, life-changing study abroad program (Study-Service Term) and exceptional educational value. The 135-acre tree-filled campus features a world-class Music Center and a Rec-Fitness Center for 14 intercollegiate athletic teams. The extended campus includes a 1,189-acre natural sanctuary (the Merry Lea Environmental Learning Center near Wolf Lake, Ind.) and a marine biology lab in the Florida Keys. Rooted in the historically peaceful Mennonite church and established in 1894, the college’s Christ-centered mission produces passionate learners, compassionate peacemakers, global citizens and servant leaders. The college’s doors are open to all, with students from 40 different Christian denominations and several world religions. Experiential learning, faculty mentors and strong friendships are significant community strengths for students.
The college is located in the heart of Elkhart County in Northern Indiana, just a couple of hours from Chicago, Indianapolis and Detroit. Goshen was named the 2017 Indiana Community of the Year by the Indiana Chamber of Commerce for its amazing arts and entertainment, food scene, recreational opportunities, outstanding schools, affordable living, cultural diversity and entrepreneurial spirit. Learn more at goodofgoshen.com.
How to Apply:
If you are applying through Indeed or another search engine, please make sure to go to www.goshen.edu/employment to apply.
Please be sure to provide all required materials noted above, as incomplete applications may not be considered. Application materials may be attached to the Faculty Information Form or sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Complete the online Faculty Information Form
- Letter of application
- Curriculum Vitae
- Three professional letters of recommendation
- Graduate and undergraduate transcripts (copies acceptable in the application process with official transcripts required for employment)
Review of applications will begin on February 28, 2020, and continue until the position is filled. With a commitment to building a diverse faculty and staff, minority persons are encouraged to apply.
Goshen College is an equal opportunity employer, committed to enhancing diversity across the institution. Goshen College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or any legally protected status.
To protect the welfare and provide for the safety of the students, employees, visitors, and resources of Goshen College, background checks are conducted by the Office of Human Resources on all new and re-hired employees.
1700 S. Main Street
Goshen, IN 46526-4795
Telephone: (574) 535-7111