Goshen College invites applications for a full-time Assistant or Associate Professor of Public Health to develop and implement a new BA in Public Health major. The ideal candidate for this program director position will have a Ph.D. in public health with a background in curriculum design.
Primary responsibilities include developing courses specific to the major, teaching courses in the major, and aligning the curriculum with standards of the Council on Education for Public Health. Goshen College faculty serve on institution-wide committees, mentor and advise students, and participate in student recruitment. Candidates must be interested in working closely with students and fellow faculty members as part of a small, vibrant campus and community.
The public health major is housed in the CCNE-accredited Department of Nursing with undergraduate and graduate programs in nursing. Position reports to the Department of Nursing Chairperson.
- Provide oversight for the major including curricular design and alignment.
- Prepare course syllabi for courses in the major.
- Teach assigned courses using engaging teaching-learning practices.
- Develop internship capstone experiences that are essential to current standards of practice.
- Mentor students through advising and professional development.
- Prepare program for initial accreditation with the Council on Education for Public Health.
- Participate in department, school, and college meetings.
- Pursue appropriate professional development opportunities and scholarly activities.
- Carry vision for the future growth of the program.
Education and Experience:
- Master’s degree in public health required
- Earned doctorate in public health or public health discipline preferred
- Commitment to the mission and core values of Goshen College
- Documented evidence of peer-reviewed scholarship preferred
- Documented evidence of curricular leadership preferred
- Excellent aptitude and ability in teaching and/or applied practice
- Ability to establish positive working relationships with colleagues and students
- Contribute knowledge and ideas to department and college endeavors
- Collaborative teaching style
- Goshen College has recently renewed its commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion (see https://www.goshen.edu/news/2019/05/20/our-commitments-to-diversity-equity-and-inclusion/). In your application materials, please address how your own skills and experience will help us support and develop this commitment to our increasingly diverse student body.
Using computers and other office equipment, mobility around campus, travel and meetings at internship sites.
Work Environment/Environmental Conditions:
Mostly inside/office conditions; Temperatures are usually moderate; Artificial lighting; Some exposure to dust and molds. Must use stairs or elevator to use toilet facilities.
About Goshen College:
Goshen College is an affordable, nationally-ranked Christian liberal arts college in Northern Indiana known for leadership in intercultural and international education, sustainability and social justice. The college offers bachelor’s degrees in more than 65 areas of study, as well as select graduate degrees. Goshen enrolls approximately 950 students from 35 states and 23 countries and is recognized for its innovative, life-changing study abroad program (Study-Service Term) and exceptional educational value. The 135-acre tree-filled campus features a world-class Music Center and a Rec-Fitness Center for 14 intercollegiate athletic teams. The extended campus includes a 1,189-acre natural sanctuary (the Merry Lea Environmental Learning Center near Wolf Lake, Ind.) and a marine biology lab in the Florida Keys. Rooted in the historically peaceful Mennonite church and established in 1894, the college’s Christ-centered mission produces passionate learners, compassionate peacemakers, global citizens and servant leaders. The college’s doors are open to all, with students from 40 different Christian denominations and several world religions. Experiential learning, faculty mentors and strong friendships are significant community strengths for students.
The college is located in the heart of Elkhart County in Northern Indiana, just a couple of hours from Chicago, Indianapolis and Detroit. Goshen was named the 2017 Indiana Community of the Year by the Indiana Chamber of Commerce for its amazing arts and entertainment, food scene, recreational opportunities, outstanding schools, affordable living, cultural diversity and entrepreneurial spirit. Learn more at goodofgoshen.com.
How to Apply:
If you are applying through Indeed or another search engine, please make sure to go to www.goshen.edu/employment to apply.
Please be sure to provide all required materials noted above, as incomplete applications may not be considered. Application materials may be attached to the Faculty Information Form or sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Complete the online Faculty Information Form
- Letter of application
- Curriculum Vitae
- Three professional letters of recommendation
- Graduate and undergraduate transcripts (copies acceptable in the application process with official transcripts required for employment)
Review of applications will begin on December 1, 2019, and continue until the position is filled. With a commitment to building a diverse faculty and staff, minority persons are encouraged to apply.
Goshen College is an equal opportunity employer, committed to enhancing diversity across the institution. Goshen College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or any legally protected status.
To protect the welfare and provide for the safety of the students, employees, visitors, and resources of Goshen College, background checks are conducted by the Office of Human Resources on all new and re-hired employees.
1700 S. Main Street
Goshen, IN 46526-4795
Telephone: (574) 535-7111