Goshen College invites applications for a full-time Assistant or Associate Professor of Music (Mezzo Soprano or Soprano) to teach applied voice and be a dynamic and energetic director of the campus treble choir, Voices of the Earth, which specializes in world music; assist with opera/musical productions as needed; teaching courses in other areas such as music education, depending on the candidate’s qualifications and departmental needs, in a liberal arts setting. Other responsibilities include: perform on faculty recitals, lead weekly voice masterclass, lead periodic choir tours; commitment to professional growth in the vocal arts; forge strong community ties; develop and maintain a regional and national profile within the profession, serve on committees, and advise students. The position carries with it the possibility for promotion and tenure.
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate strengths in vocal performance, voice teaching, choral leadership, and conducting. Primary teaching responsibilities will be in the area of voice and choir, with the possibility of teaching survey level courses for the CORE (general education) program, as well as having opportunities to lead off-campus experiential Domestic and International courses. In addition to teaching, the position includes advising and mentoring an increasingly diverse student body and supporting departmental functions such as attendance and performance in recitals and larger ensemble concerts.
The department offers several concentrations within the music major program of study: Generalist BA in Music, Music Education, Music for Social Change, Music & Worship, and Piano Pedagogy, with a curriculum that focuses on growth in musicianship and artistry. The department has recently begun a new minor in Musical Theater in collaboration with the Department of Theater. All members of the department have opportunities to develop courses within their expertise.
Goshen College is a teaching college with a 4-3-1 load, and all teaching faculty serve on institution-wide committees and assist with advising, as well as recruiting prospective students. The successful candidate must be ready to contribute to our strong tradition of excellence in performance as well as teaching. Candidates must be interested in working closely with students and fellow faculty members as part of a small, vibrant campus and community.
- Prepare course syllabi for assigned courses in collaboration with department chair
- Teach assigned courses with appropriate active and engaged learning practices
- Work with choir and voice students
- Mentor students through advising and recruiting activities
- Participate in department, school and college meetings
- Pursue appropriate professional development opportunities, including scholarly activities
- Complete other duties as assigned
- Students in assigned courses
- Student workers in department as needed
Education and Experience:
- Graduate degree in voice/vocal pedagogy and/or choral conducting; masters required, doctoral degree preferred
- Demonstrated excellence in teaching at the college/university level
- Commitment to working with diverse populations
- Commitment to the mission and core values of Goshen College
- Collaborative, innovate teacher-scholars dedicated to undergraduate teaching in an inclusive academic and campus community.
- Excellent aptitude and ability in teaching
- Mentorship of student performance
- Active engagement in research and publishing
- Public speaking, public relations, and technology
- Interest in community collaboration and service
- Ability to establish positive working relationships with colleagues and students
- Contribute knowledge and ideas to department and college endeavors
- Experience in a developing world context related to their field of study
- Experience teaching diverse college students
- Scholarly publications
Physical Demands: Using computers and other office equipment; moving around campus, inside and outside.
Work Environment/Environmental Conditions: Mostly inside/office conditions; Temperatures are usually moderate; Artificial lighting; Some exposure to dust and molds. Must use stairs or elevator to use toilet facilities.
All of the essential job functions subject to reasonable accommodation. All job requirements listed indicate the minimum level of knowledge, skills and/or ability deemed necessary to perform the job proficiently. This job description is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements. Individuals may be required to perform other job-related instructions as requested by the supervisor, subject to reasonable accommodation. This position description is not all-inclusive and may change at the option of the (supervisor or department head). Any major change will result in the position being reviewed for reclassification.
About Goshen College:
Goshen College is an affordable, nationally-ranked Christian liberal arts college in Northern Indiana known for leadership in intercultural and international education, sustainability and social justice. The college offers bachelor’s degrees in more than 65 areas of study, as well as select graduate degrees. Goshen enrolls approximately 950 students from 35 states and 23 countries and is recognized for its innovative, life-changing study abroad program (Study-Service Term) and exceptional educational value. The 135-acre tree-filled campus features a world-class Music Center and a Rec-Fitness Center for 14 intercollegiate athletic teams. The extended campus includes a 1,189-acre natural sanctuary (the Merry Lea Environmental Learning Center near Wolf Lake, Ind.) and a marine biology lab in the Florida Keys. Rooted in the historically peaceful Mennonite church and established in 1894, the college’s Christ-centered mission produces passionate learners, compassionate peacemakers, global citizens and servant leaders. The college’s doors are open to all, with students from 40 different Christian denominations and several world religions. Experiential learning, faculty mentors and strong friendships are significant community strengths for students.
The college is located in the heart of Elkhart County in Northern Indiana, just a couple of hours from Chicago, Indianapolis and Detroit. Goshen was named the 2017 Indiana Community of the Year by the Indiana Chamber of Commerce for its amazing arts and entertainment, food scene, recreational opportunities, outstanding schools, affordable living, cultural diversity and entrepreneurial spirit. Learn more at goodofgoshen.com.
How to Apply:
If you are applying through Indeed or another search engine, please make sure to go to www.goshen.edu/employment to apply.
Please be sure to provide all required materials noted above, as incomplete applications may not be considered. Application materials may be attached to the Faculty Information Form or sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Complete the online Faculty Information Form
- Letter of application detailing expertise and qualifications for this position
- Curriculum Vitae
- Video portfolio that includes rehearsal and performance excerpts of conducting and performance tracks of singing (30 minutes total). YouTube links acceptable as well.
- Three professional letters of recommendation
Review of applications will begin January 20, 2020 and continue until the position is filled. With a commitment to building a diverse faculty and staff, minority persons are encouraged to apply.
Goshen College is an equal opportunity employer, committed to enhancing diversity across the institution. Goshen College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or any legally protected status. To protect the welfare and provide for the safety of the students, employees, visitors, and resources of Goshen College, background checks are conducted by the Office of Human Resources on all new and re-hired employees.
1700 S. Main Street
Goshen, IN 46526-4795
Telephone: (574) 535-7111