Goshen College seeks applicants for a temporary, part-time Interim Campus Pastor.
Position ends on June 30, 2018
The Interim Campus Pastor would provide leadership and direction to the efforts of campus spiritual life and student faith development. Provide pastoral care to students. Provide leadership in the occasions for the entire campus community worship and celebration. Give direction to processes for evaluation and assessment of faith development efforts. Assist students in finding a meaningful congregational life in the Goshen community. Plan and administer seminars and workshops (i.e. faith formation, worship leading, interfaith leadership) as needed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Demonstrates awareness of and interest in the needs and problems of students in all stages of life and faith development.
- Relates to students in a way that promotes spiritual maturation.
- Willing to guide others in developing their own spiritual lives.
- Ministers to students in times of personal crisis.
- Understands and implements pastoral care methods that assist others toward a holistic and dynamic faith.
Campus Worship and Interfaith Leadership
- Plans chapels with assistance from Worship Assistants.
- Provides leadership and direction to the Residence Hall Ministry Leadership Program.
- Models for and assists others in understanding how they may best articulate their personal faith.
- Engages the campus community in exploring interfaith understandings and fostering dialogue between those from various faith traditions.
- Lead various styles of worship for chapels, Taize, and Worship Night settings. Organize teams of students to assist and help lead in those services.
- Meets with Ministry Leaders and Worship Assistants for regular follow-up and support.
- Assists with planning baccalaureate service with graduating seniors.
- Serve as a link to service agencies and campus guests linked to various church agencies and organizations.
- Available to serve as the PRISM Adviser.
Supervisory Responsibility: Ministry Leaders; Worship Assistants
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: M.A. in Religious Studies/Theology/Youth Ministry with campus ministry experience preferred. Prior work in ministry as a pastor, teacher or pastoral counselor preferred.
Certifications, Licences, Registrations: NA
- Open, approachable, flexible, and secure.
- Understands and appreciates a wide variety of faith traditions.
- Broadly ecumenical in approaches to religious worship traditions.
- Relates easily to a variety of individuals and theological positions.
- Works effectively with conflict issues.
- Demonstrates an active and reflective faith.
- Is committed to an Anabaptist understanding of theology, worship, and community of faith.
Physical Demands: Beyond the fact that there are a number of evening commitments there are no critical physical demands.
Work Environment/Environmental Condition: Inside environment.
About Goshen College:
Goshen College is a liberal arts institution dedicated to the development of informed, articulate, sensitive and responsible Christians. It is nationally ranked for its study abroad programs. As a ministry of the Mennonite Church, the institution seeks to integrate Christian values with educational and professional life. Goshen College has adopted five core values around which programs are built: 1) Christ-centered; 2) Passionate Learners; 3) Servant Leaders; 4) Compassionate Peacemakers; and (5) Global Citizens. The college is located in the heart of Elkhart County, centrally located within several hours of Chicago, Indianapolis and Detroit. Residents of Goshen enjoy a culturally diverse small-town atmosphere with an active arts community, a vibrant downtown, the Maple City Greenway network of bicycle paths and affordable housing prices.
How to Apply:
If you are applying through Indeed or another search engine, please make sure to go to www.goshen.edu/employment to apply.
Please be sure to provide all required materials noted below, as incomplete applications may not be considered. Application materials may be attached to the Faculty Information Form or sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Complete and submit the online Faculty Information Form
- Letter of application
- Three professional letters of reference
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Preference will be given to applications submitted by December 8th.
Goshen College is an equal opportunity employer, committed to enhancing diversity across the institution. Goshen College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or any legally protected status. To protect the welfare and provide for the safety of the students, employees, visitors and resources of Goshen College, background checks are conducted by the Office of Human Resources on all new and re-hired employees.
1700 S. Main Street
Goshen, IN 46526-4795
Telephone: (574) 535-7111