Project : By the numbers
7.4.12 – 3:57 p.m. EST
- 150 (approximately) : Number of dump truck loads of dirt (the 8 trucks made a lot of trips!) hauled out of the ground last night and taken about 3 miles away to be used for future highway construction projects. They decided not to use the dirt they dug out because they wanted to know how the sand would compact ahead of time.
- 2,600 tons : The amount of sand brought to fill in the hole.
- 43,000 pounds (21.5 tons) : The weight of each of the pre-formed sections of the underpass.
- $100 : The fine for being caught crossing a stopped train on campus.
- $5,000 : The amount the construction company would be fined for every hour trains can’t pass through campus because of the construction after today’s allotted 24 hours.
- $1.8 million : The grant amount given by the federal Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality Improvement program to fund this project. The college is funding the architectural, engineering and planning costs.
- 101 degrees : The current temperature.