Special academic programs

Adult and Non-traditional programs

Goshen College offers several programs for adult non-residential students. Two bachelor's degree completion programs are offered in organizational leadership and nursing (RN to BSN). In addition, two full bachelor's degree programs are offered in social work and business administration. See the Office of Graduate and Continuing Studies section for details.

Center for Intercultural and International Education

The Center for Intercultural and International Education, known as CIIE, is home to offices for International Education, Diverse Student Support, the Institute for Latino Educational Achievement, and a graduate program in Intercultural Leadership.

For information about International Education, see the separate section of this catalog or the website at

The office of Diverse Student Support plans special events such as the annual Martin Luther King, Jr. Study Day and the celebration of heritage months. Faculty advisers provide academic, social and personal support for multicultural students on campus. The Black Student Union, Latino Student Union, International Students Club and Intercultural Corps encourage underrepresented students to negotiate the college experience, become involved in campus activities and develop leadership skills.

For information about the Institute for Latino Educational Achievement and the graduate program in Intercultural Leadership, see the website at

Honors opportunities

The academic ethos at Goshen College is rigorous and engaging. Requirements for the Dean's List and the Latin Honors system for graduates are described in the Academic policies section of the catalog. Two special honors opportunities are described below.

Academic Symposium

An annual Academic Symposium features exemplary student research and writing. The symposium brings together students and faculty members involved in original research and scholarly activity from all disciplines. A selection of papers representing the quality of student reserch at Goshen College is published on the Academic Symposium Web site: Symposium.

Maple Scholars

Each summer the Maple Scholars program supports numerous student-faculty research partnerships. Maple Scholars is an eight-week program that gives students the opportunity to participate in independent research alongside Goshen College faculty of various disciplines. Each scholar is paired with a faculty member who works with and supervises individuals to help carry out their work. Students who are selected as Maple Scholars live in campus housing and receive a stipend See for more details.

Merry Lea Environmental Learning Center

Owned and operated by Goshen College, the Merry Lea Environmental Learning Center is a 1,189-acre complex of fields, forest, bogs and meadow located 30 miles south of the campus. Opportunities are available for field research in natural sciences as well as teaching internships in outdoor education. More than 6,000 K-12 children each year are guests at Merry Lea. Facilities include an environmental-education building that houses a classroom, offices and library, a Farmstead, a pavillion, and some housing with overnight accommodations. Rieth Village, a set of "green" collegiate laboratory/residence buildings was completed in 2006. Rieth Village received a Platinum award, the highest level possible, from the U.S. Green Building Council's LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) rating system. LEED buildings are required to meet rigorous standards in areas such as enery efficiency, water management, use of recycled materials and indoor air quality. Merry Lea offers undergraduate courses in environmental science and education. A master's degree program in environmental education began in 2008.See for more information.

Goshen College Music Center

The Goshen College Music Center is a beautiful award-winning facility with excellent acoustics. The Music Center contains the 1,000-seat Sauder Concert Hall, 300-seat Rieth Recital Hall, rehearsal rooms, classrooms, practice rooms, and offices. The Hershberger Art Gallery features rotating exhibits by guest artists, faculty and students. The Music Center hosts a popular annual Performing Arts Series with world-class performers as well as dozens of other concerts. The Community School of the Arts, based in the Music Center, offers piano lessons, Suzuki string lessons, children's choirs, and the Music Together program for parents and pre-school children to more than 300 families. The Acorn Project provides subsidized music lessons for low-income families. String orchestra opportunities are also offered for home-schooled students and older adults. More information is available at

Off-campus May-term courses

Each May-term, marine biology courses are offered at Goshen College's marine biology facility on Long Key in Florida. Most other courses in the list below are offered every two years; some are special one-time courses. The off-campus May term courses offered by Goshen College in the past several years were:

Other off-campus programs

In addition to Goshen College SST and May-term courses, many other possibilities for off-campus study exist in cooperation with other colleges and universities. (See list below.) For information about registering for any of these programs, contact the associate dean and director of international education. Special off-campus program registration forms are available in the SST and registrar's offices.

Financial policies for off-campus programs

Special arrangements make it possible for students to register for Goshen College credit while participating in the programs below. However, since tuition and fees are collected and passed on to the other agencies or colleges, sources of student financial aid and scholarships while enrolled in these programs are nearly always limited to outside funding such as Pell grants, state grants, non-Goshen College scholarships and Stafford Loans.

Goshen College tuition discounts, scholarships and direct financial aid can be used only when a sponsored program is required for a student’s major and those requirements cannot be fulfilled without the sponsored off-campus experience (Spanish major, e.g.). For Goshen College financial aid to apply to required off-campus study, an application must be submitted and the major must be declared by spring advising days prior to the year of off-campus study.

To obtain information on financial aid, contact the student financial aid office. Academic credits earned in these sponsored off-campus programs are considered residential credits. However, these are not Goshen College programs. Therefore, May-term fees are charged for students who were off-campus in one of these affiliated programs during fall or spring semester.

Off-campus programs affiliated with Goshen College