Academic policies and requirements

Graduation requirements

1. Total credit hours

The minimum total credit hours for each bachelor of arts and bachelor of science degree is 120 credit hours, with the exception of the elementary education, elementary/special education and elementary/English learners education majors, which require 124 credit hours.

2. Goshen Core

Pre-2012 general education:
Students using a pre-2012 catalog for their general education catalog year may choose a major or minor in a 2012 or later catalog without having to change their general education plan.
2012 and following:
All Goshen Core requirements must be completed as listed in the catalog that is current at the date of matriculation. New students may use IB, AP, dual credit and transfer courses to meet Goshen Core requirements. However, after initial enrollment, students who wish to use courses from another institution to meet Core requirements must petition the Goshen Core Curriculum Committee and have their transfer course approved ahead of time. Petition forms are available from the associate academic dean. Students who are earning a second bachelor's degree at Goshen College do not need to take additional Goshen Core courses.

Courses that meet multiple requirements:
Perspectives courses in the Goshen Core may also count toward a student's major or minor, with the exception of Goshen Seminar courses, which may not be counted toward a major or minor.

3. Major

A defined major or interdisciplinary major must be completed. At least 12 upper-level credit hours (300-499) are required, with at least six upper-level credit hours in the major completed at Goshen College.

Internship credit expectations:
From 40 to 60 clock hours of experience will be expected for one hour of credit earned in departmental internships completed during the academic year. See credit by experience information for policies governing credit earned outside the semester calendar.

Double major policies:
Duplication (double-counting) courses for two or more majors may occur only for courses specifically required in both of the majors. Students with a double major are required to complete only one senior seminar and one internship. However, since seminar and internship credit counts toward the total number of credit hours required for a major, other departmental courses must be substituted in order to reach the total required number of credit hours for the second major. NOTE: students with a double major in a combination of biological sciences, chemistry, or physics need to take only one senior seminar and are not required to substitute another course for the senior seminar in the other major.

4. Minor (optional)

A minor supplements the major, often emphasizing a special interest, an interdisciplinary approach or vocational skill. Minors consist of 18-20 credit hours, with at least eight credit hours of upper-level study (300 and above). At least three credits in the minor must be completed at Goshen College.

Course overlap between majors and minors:
Duplication of courses for two (or more) minors may occur only for courses specifically required in both of the minors. However, courses in a minor may duplicate related courses in a major, at the discretion of the relevant departments.

5. Grade point average

A minimum 2.00 grade point average (GPA) for all work at Goshen College is required for graduation. Some specific majors require a GPA of 2.50.

6. Minimum credits of coursework at Goshen College

At least 30 credit hours of course work must be completed at Goshen College.

7. Senior credit requirement

Of the minimum 30 credit hours taken at Goshen College, at least 24 must be completed in the senior year (after achieving 90 credit hours). Exceptions are made for certain professional curricula where the fourth year is spent at another institution and for students in degree completion programs through the Office of Graduate and Continuing Studies.

8. Limit of credit hours in one department

No more than 45 credit hours in one department can count toward the minimum hours required for the degree. In other words, at least 75 credit hours must be completed outside the department of the major. All interpretations of requirements should be checked with the registrar.

9. Convocation/chapel attendance

Posted attendance requirements must be met. Current attendance policies are distributed to students annually and available at the chapel website.

10. Full financial settlement

Diplomas and transcripts are released only after the student's financial obligations to Goshen College have been met.

Special degree conditions

Credit limitations

  • Technical education - A maximum of 12 credit hours may be transferred from terminal (non-liberal arts) programs at other colleges, such as community colleges, technical or Bible institutes.
  • Credit for learning based on work and/or experience - A maximum of 12 credit hours of experience-based credit can be counted for the bachelor degree.

Seven-year window to complete graduation requirements

Students have seven years to meet the graduation requirements outlined in the catalog for the year of matriculation at Goshen College (or Hesston College) unless those requirements have been changed later by faculty actions that are to be applied retroactively. The time period is adjusted proportionally for transfer students. Students who do not finish their degree program within seven years will be subject to the graduation requirements currently in force. However, a student who, in spite of a period of absence, can graduate not more than seven years after first matriculation (or an appropriate share of this time, in the case of a transfer student), may elect the requirements in force on the date either of the first matriculation or of readmission.

Application for graduation required

Candidates for degrees must apply for graduation no later than the beginning of the semester in which the degree is to be awarded. Application forms are available online. One commencement ceremony is held each year in spring. May, August and December graduates are eligible to participate.

Advising and registration

Following admission for study in a particular semester, all new students participate in course registration as described below.

Registration procedures

Registration for each semester begins with course selection, which involves consultation with a faculty adviser, followed by online course selection. Registration must be confirmed at the final check in just before classes begin at the start of each semester. Fall check in includes housing confirmation, financial aid processing, proof of insurance, ID cards, auto registration and other items. Spring check-in is done online. Fees must be paid prior to check-in by the published due date. Part-time students and late applicants complete both course selection and check-in on the first day of the semester.

Fall semester

Continuing students select courses in April. New students participate in special orientation/registration days scheduled in May, June and July. Final course selection and registration for all students is held the first days of the semester, as is course selection for late students. Classes begin on the evening of the first Monday of fall semester.

Spring semester/May term

Students on campus select courses in November. New students complete course selection in December or on the first day of the semester. Final check-in for all students is the first day of the spring semester, and classes begin on the morning of the second day.

Academic advising

First-semester freshmen are assigned to First-Year Experience advisers. Those who are ready to declare a major at the end of the first semester are then assigned to advisers in their academic departments. All others will be assigned to generalist advisers until they declare majors.

During the advising period at the end of fall and spring semesters, all students are asked to consult with their academic advisers, but contact is not limited to these days. Faculty advisers are prepared to assist with a range of questions – career goals, graduate school, choice of major, course selection and general adjustment to college. Some departments and professional programs also conduct group information or advising sessions for interested students.

Students share responsibility with the faculty adviser for planning their college program, including course selection, and for becoming acquainted with requirements through reading printed materials and attending departmental meetings. Questions about the advising program should be addressed to the associate academic dean.

Competency and placement testing

New students may establish competency for a Goshen Core requirement in mathematics, Spanish, or French by taking a competency test on campus, offered during summer pre-registration, at the beginning of each semester, and near the end of each semester. See the registrar's office webpage for complete information on competency and placement testing.

Changes in registration (Drop and Add)

Students may make online changes to their course schedules during designated “open registration” times. Students may add new courses and change grading plans only during the first five days of classes in the fall and spring semesters and the first two days of the May term and summer sessions. Courses formally dropped before the end of the fifth day of classes do not appear on a student’s permanent record. Courses dropped during the second to ninth weeks will appear on the permanent record with a W grade (withdrawal). Courses dropped after the ninth week are recorded F (failing) or NC (no credit). Students may make changes in depth-credit registration (see below) during the first 12 weeks of the fall and spring semesters.

Course changes after the times specified above are permitted for health reasons only and must be approved by the associate dean of students.

Hours and course load

The usual academic load during the fall and spring semester is 12-16 credit hours. To discourage fragmentation of the student’s time and allow more concentrated study in each course, the maximum load permitted in any semester is 16 credit hours. Exceptions to this policy are possible with approval from the registrar. Extra tuition is charged for hours beyond 16.

Depth credits

Depth credit is offered in some courses to encourage individual study. Sophomore, junior and senior students may register during the first 12 weeks of the semester for an extra credit hour in one or two such courses each semester. Registration for depth credit must be conducted in person in the registrar's office.

Auditing courses

Students are invited to enrich their education by auditing courses on a space-available basis. Auditors may participate in a class, but are not required to complete assignments and tests. Classes that emphasize knowledge expansion rather than skill-building are most appropriate for auditing. To register, obtain an audit form in the registrar’s office and secure the instructor’s signature. A per-hour fee is charged for part-time students. There is no fee for full-time students. No attendance or achievement records are kept for auditors. Audited courses are not available for later credit by examination or examination to establish competency.

Northern Indiana Consortium for Education (NICE)

Goshen College is a member of the Northern Indiana Consortium for Education, along with Bethel College, Indiana University South Bend, Holy Cross College, Saint Mary’s College and Ivy Tech Community College in South Bend. Through this consortium, Goshen College students may cross-register for courses offered at another member institution. Registration is on a space-available basis. The home school records the registration, and home-school fees are charged. Summer and online courses are not eligible for cross-registration. See the registrar for registration procedures.

College credits earned during high school

For all college-credit programs based in high schools, credit may be counted toward Goshen Core or major and minor requirements. Individual academic departments will determine the exact placement or equivalent in departmental courses.

Advanced Placement

Goshen College awards credit for Advanced Placement exam scores of three or higher; however, to meet a Goshen Core requirement, the score must be four or five. See the registrar's website for course equivalencies and faculty member contacts.

International Baccalaureate

Goshen College recognizes International Baccalaureate courses and grants credit for scores of five or higher in both the Higher Level and Standard Level courses. IB credits may be counted toward Goshen Core requirements, major or minor requirements, or electives. A maximum of 30 credit hours is granted. See the registrar's web page for equivalencies in Goshen College courses.

Dual Credit

Goshen College offers several courses for credit at Bethany Christian High School. Other college credits earned through courses taught at a high school site are posted upon receipt of official transcripts from the credit-granting college or university, provided that grades are "C" or higher. Other Goshen College policies governing transfer credit also apply. See the Admission section of the course catalog.

Special courses by request

Directed study

On rare occasions and in order to accommodate student need, professors may allow a student to take a regular course during a term when the course is not publicly offered. The consenting professor must make a request to the registrar for course creation and student registration. The course is added to the student's semester course load. The professor and student work out the details of how the course will be conducted.

One-time course

A special course may be offered to students who propose and agree to enroll in it, provided a faculty member agrees to teach it. Off-campus courses and all courses not listed in the catalog need approval by the academic affairs committee. In some cases, courses may be offered during the summer or during the May term. The course title and description will be kept as a permanent record by the college. An advance deposit will be required from all students agreeing to enroll.

Special registration options

Courses and special credits are available by independent study, credit by experience, and credit by examination. Since these options are not part of registration for any semester, students may register for them at any time in the registrar’s office. A special fee is always charged, and financial aid does not apply.

Independent study

To develop more curricular flexibility, Goshen College invites students to register for independent study. Students have one year from the date of registration to complete independent study courses. For special circumstances, the professor may request one extension with a specific completion date, generally not to exceed three months. There are two primary reasons why students may wish to take independent study:
Regular courses at special time

An academic program may require that a student take a course not offered during a given semester. In some cases it is possible to take such a course by independent study, under the direction of a faculty member. To register for such a course, the student obtains a form from the registrar. The instructor indicates approval on the form, which the student then returns to the registrar’s office. Students may register for independent study at any time during the year. All independent study is charged at a special rate: tutorial, which assumes equal amount of professor contact hours as when the course is normally offered, or readings, which assumes about one-fifth the normal contact hours.

Special independent courses

A student may wish to engage in an independent-study project in an area not covered by the regular curriculum, especially during the summer, when full time can be devoted to the project. The study may occur at the Goshen campus or at any appropriate location. To take a special independent course, the student makes an initial proposal to the faculty member under whom the project would be conducted. If the faculty member approves, the student submits a more detailed proposal in writing. Next, the associate dean must approve this proposal, then the student registers for the course and pays the usual fee for independent study.

Credit for learning based on work and/or experience

Students may seek college credit for learning acquired through significant experiences in work, travel and service assignments, provided that the area of study is educationally valid and is compatible with college academic programs. The learning experience should involve both thorough preparation and systematic reflection on the importance of what has been learned. Contact with a faculty member before, during and after the experience is crucial for planning and evaluating readings, journals, portfolios and other materials. Registration must precede the actual experience, and payment in full is required to validate the contract.

From 80-to-120 hours of experience will be expected for one hour of credit. A maximum of 12 hours of experience-based credit can be counted for a bachelor’s degree. Students have two years from the date of registration to complete credit by experience contracts. For special circumstances, the professor may request one extension with a specific completion date, generally not to exceed three months.

Credit by examination

Credit is granted for acceptable test results under four programs – College Level Examination Program (CLEP), DANTES Program, and Advanced Placement Tests (all programs of Educational Testing Services, Princeton, N.J.) and tests given by Goshen College instructors. Any student may take these examinations and credit may be earned unless it duplicates previous college credit. CLEP tests are administered at least monthly at several hundred centers in the United States, including Goshen College. In all cases, special registration and payment is required prior to the testing. The use of such credit toward specific major or minor requirements will be decided by the departments concerned. Credit policies for CLEP and AP examinations are posted at Credit earned through testing, other than AP, that is intended to meet Goshen Core or major and minor requirements is subject to the normal credit by examination fee. Contact the registrar for details.

Grading and evaluation

Goshen’s system of evaluation offers a standard (letter) grading system and a limited option system (CR/NC). The student chooses at registration whether courses will be selected for the option system.

Standard system

A Excellent
  A 4.0 quality points
  A- 3.7 quality points
B Very Good
  B+ 3.3 quality points
  B 3.0 quality points
  B- 2.7 quality points
C Satisfactory
  C+ 2.3 quality points
  C 2.0 quality points
  C- 1.7 quality points
D Unsatisfactory, but Passing
  D+ 1.3 quality points
  D 1.0 quality points
F Failing


0 quality points



0 quality points, issued for non-attendance

NR Grade not reported (temporary grade)
I Incomplete (temporary grade)
W Withdrew during 2nd -9th week, no evaluation made

Option system

Selected by the student for a maximum of 12 credit hours in the entire college program (prorated for transfer students) or by the instructor/department for certain courses. Students may not select the Credit/No Credit option for courses in the Goshen Core curriculum, including International Education, nor for courses in a student’s major or minor, unless courses are designated with this grading option by the academic department. The student chooses at registration whether courses will be selected for the Credit/No Credit option system.

CR Passing work of C level or better; no grade point value
NC No credit: equivalent to C- level or lower; no grade point value
Written evaluation paragraphs may be requested in option-system courses and selected courses in the major. Sometimes an instructor will choose to submit written evaluations for all students in a course.

Changes in grade plan

Changes in the grading plan are possible only in the first week of each semester (two days in May term). Under CR/NC, letter grades cannot be granted, but students may ask for a more extensive written evaluation of their work in a given class for up to five years after graduation.

Incomplete grades

A grade of I (incomplete) may be given at the instructor’s discretion for medical emergencies or circumstances beyond the student’s control. Students must be earning a passing grade at the time of the request for an I grade. It is to be given rarely and not to accommodate the student who, through carelessness or poor planning, does not complete course work in the given time. The student will work with the instructor to establish a plan for completion of the course. If a final grade is not submitted by the end of the spring semester (for fall) or the beginning of fall semester (for spring or May terms), an F or NC will be recorded. The new grade is used to compute the grade point average, but the I remains on the student’s permanent record.

Evaluations rather than letter grades

The objectives of certain courses can best be met by special grading conditions. The academic dean can approve such courses, and they will be so marked on the official semester course offerings. Some courses have continuing approval to be offered in such a manner, e.g., student teaching and field-experience courses. Evaluations submitted for such courses become part of the permanent academic record, available with transcripts.

Grade reporting

An examination period is scheduled at the close of each course. Grade reports are available online to the student within one week of the close of each semester. Grade reports will also be sent to the parents at the request of the student.

Grade point average

A cumulative grade point average (GPA) for standard-system courses is posted on the student’s record at the end of each semester. Only courses completed at Goshen College (and Hesston College) are factored into the cumulative grade point average. For graduation, a minimum 2.00 GPA is required. Some majors require a cumulative GPA of 2.50. Courses may be repeated multiple times in an attempt to earn a higher grade. The previous attempt(s) will be specially marked on the transcript and only the final attempt will count in the grade point average (GPA) and in the total credit calculation. If the grade on the final attempt is W, then the previous grade will be used in these calculations. Federal financial aid will cover only one repeat of a course previously passed. See the student financial aid office for details.

Latin honors

Academic honors are awarded to traditional baccalaureate degree graduates who have earned a cumulative grade point average of 3.6 or above (A = 4.0) and with no grade lower than a C at Goshen College. To qualify for graduation honors, a student must have completed at least 48 graded semester hours at Goshen College. Academic Honors indicated in the commencement program are reflective of fall semester grades and are subject to change with the addition of spring, May term and summer grades. Academic honors are also awarded to graduates who have earned a cumulative grade point average of 3.6 or above, with no grade lower than a C, while pursuing a degree in a degree completion or accelerated bachelor's program offered by the Office of Graduate and Continuing Studies. To qualify for graduation honors, degree completion students must have completed at least 40 graded semester hours at Goshen College. Academic Honors indicated in the commencement program are reflective of fall semester grades and are subject to change with the addition of spring, May term and summer grades.
  • Summa Cum Laude3.90-4.00 GPA (with highest honor)
  • Magna Cum Laude3.80-3.89 GPA (with great honor)
  • Cum Laude3.60-3.79 GPA (with honor)

Dean’s list

The Dean’s list is published after the fall and spring semesters. Students who have earned a semester GPA of 3.75 or higher on at least 12 credit hours of course work for a letter grade and who have no grades of incomplete (I) will be named to the list. Students may decline having their names published, if they so desire, by informing the registrar.

Other academic policies

Official transcripts

Official transcripts of a student’s academic record will be released upon written authorization of the student. To assure that the student has complete control over this confidential information, all requests by other individuals will be refused. Positive identification in the form of student number or birthdate should accompany the signed request.

Goshen College has partnered with Parchment Exchange to provide a secure, electronic way to request and send transcripts. Transcripts can be sent in either electronic or hardcopy format. The fee is $6 per copy. A transcript will be issued only if all financial obligations have been settled with Goshen College.


Students enrolled for 12 to 16 credit hours are considered full time; those enrolled for one to 11 credit hours are considered part time. All students are classified each semester as freshman, sophomore, junior or senior according to the following scale, based on total hours at the beginning of the semester:

Freshman Sophomore Junior Senior
0-29 30-59 60-89 90 or more

Attendance regulations

Regular attendance at class is expected; the instructor will announce specific requirements for each course. Absences and completion of missed class work are issues for the instructor and student to resolve. When a class field trip results in absence, the professor is responsible to notify other instructors via the online Faculty-Staff Bulletin.


Credit is given for work successfully completed by the student and for which a passing grade or CR has been earned. The credit hour should indicate the use of one-fifteenth of the student’s time (3 to 3 1/2 hours per week in and out of class for the average student). The number of class meetings each week in a particular course will be determined by the instructor in consultation with the academic dean.

Standards for academic progress

Satisfactory progress depends on maintaining a minimum grade point average (GPA) and earning at least 12 hours of credit each full-time semester. Since graduation requires a 2.00 GPA, these intermediate goals must be met:
  • In first year (12-29 hours earned) 1.50 minimum GPA
  • After earning 30 or more credit hours 2.00 minimum GPA

Any student not meeting these standards for: a) GPA or, b) hours earned, is placed on academic warning for the next semester. While on academic warning, the student will be expected to either: a) increase GPA to the required level or, b) complete sufficient credit hours to have at least 24 hours in the two consecutive semesters (including May term). If these conditions are not met by the end of the semester, the student is subject to academic disqualification. Full-time students who pass fewer than five semester hours in any given semester of enrollment are also subject to immediate academic disqualification.

A short appeal period is provided, during which the student can file a written appeal with the Appeals Committee, who takes final action. If the appeal is approved, the student is placed on academic probation with an academic plan. The plan will include specific criteria for the student to ensure that the student is able to meet satisfactory academic progress standards by a specific point in time. It is possible that the student would be asked to take a battery of tests from a qualified mental health professional. These tests would examine academic potential, any learning problems present and emotional or social problems that could affect the student’s progress. In an effort to work with identified problems, the student may be asked to contract with support persons such as counselors or professors.

Disqualification lasts two semesters and the student may apply for readmission after that time. The first 12 hours of attendance after disqualification will be at student expense (no financial aid). Further eligibility for financial aid is dependent on maintaining satisfactory academic progress.

An integrated, complementary process for financial aid warning, probation and suspension follows similar guidelines. Students may need to submit related appeal letters to the student financial aid office. See the financial aid section of this catalog for further details.

Academic grievance policy

An academic grievance policy is in place for students who wish to dispute a final course grade that they received. In summary, the first step is for the student to submit a written statement, including supporting evidence and the desired outcome, to the faculty instructor of the course in question within ten business days of the end of the semester or term. The faculty member must respond in writing within ten business days after receiving the student's statement. The student and faculty member will then meet to determine whether an informal resolution can be reached.

If the dispute cannot be resolved informally, the student may contact the department chair within five business days after the meeting to present a written appeal. If the faculty member is also the department chair, or if the matter is not resolved at the department chair level, the student may appeal directly to the Associate Academic Dean. The Associate Academic Dean will lead a grievance hearing with an Academic Response Team composed of three neutral faculty members and one student.

Academic integrity

Goshen College expects all students and faculty members to practice academic integrity. Honesty, trust, fairness, respect and responsibility are essential building blocks in creating a vital learning community. They are also the foundation for lifelong integrity.

Academic dishonesty at Goshen College is considered a serious breach of the “Goshen College Commitment to Community Standards.” Academic dishonesty is any act that misrepresents academic work or interferes with the academic work of others. It includes:

  • Plagiarism (giving the impression that another person’s work is your own)
  • Cheating on assignments or exams
  • Falsification of data
  • Submission of the same (or substantially the same) paper in more than one course without the prior consent of all instructors concerned
  • Depriving others of necessary academic sources
  • Sabotaging another student’s work
Consequences of academic dishonesty are based upon the severity of the offense, course expectations and other variables. Consequences for individual offenses may range from re-doing the assignment to dismissal from the college. Associate dean Tom Meyers administers academic integrity violation and grievance processes.

Academic bankruptcy

Academic bankruptcy is designed to assist the once-disqualified student to return to school under reduced handicap. Only selected students may be considered for bankruptcy status; to qualify the student will: a) have earlier been academically disqualified from Goshen, b) not be enrolled in any college study for at least two years, c) submit a written appeal to the Appeals Committee. Academic bankruptcy can be granted only once for a student and results in the entire Goshen College record up to that time being re-evaluated as a transfer record. This means that: a) only courses with grades of C or better will be retained for credit at Goshen; b) the grade point average will be restarted with no computation for former work at Goshen; c) academic bankruptcy will be clearly marked on the academic record. Clear conditions of probation will be stated to fit the individual situation. Fully meeting these conditions and the maintenance of a minimum 2.00 GPA will be required to continue after academic bankruptcy.

Privacy rights of students

In accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), post-secondary students enrolled at Goshen College are hereby notified of their rights with respect to their education records. They are:

  1. The right to inspect and review the student’s education records within 45 days of the day the college receives a request for access.
    Students should submit to the registrar, vice president for student life or other appropriate official, written requests that identify the record(s) they wish to inspect. The college official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected.

  2. The right to request the amendment of the student’s education records that the student believes is inaccurate or misleading.
    Students may ask the college to amend a record that they believe is inaccurate or misleading. They should write to the college official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record they want changed and specify why it is inaccurate or misleading. If the college decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the college will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of his or her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.

  3. The right to prohibit disclosure of personally identifiable information contained in the student’s education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.
    One exception that permits disclosure without consent is disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by the college in an administrative, supervisory, academic, research or support staff position (including security personnel); a person or company with whom the college has contracted (such as an attorney, auditor or collection agent); a person serving on the board of directors; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his/her tasks. A school official has legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility.

  4. The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by Goshen College to comply with the requirements of FERPA.

The name and address of the office that administers FERPA is: Family Policy Compliance Office, U.S. Department of Education, 600 Independence Ave., SW, Washington, DC 20202-4605. FERPA further provides that certain information concerning the student, designated as “directory information,” may be released by the College unless the student has informed the college that such information should not be released. “Directory information” includes:

  • Name
  • Permanent address
  • Local address*
  • Telephone number*
  • E-mail address*
  • ID photo*
  • Verification of birthdate supplied by inquirer
  • Dates of attendance
  • Full- or part-time status
  • Date of graduation and degree received
  • Major field(s) of study
  • Classification
  • Participation in officially recognized activities and sports
  • Height and weight of athlete

*Local address, phone number, e-mail address and student ID photo are available on Goshen College’s Web site, but only to people using a computer connected to Goshen College’s on-campus network (physically connected to the network or remotely connected with a valid Goshen College username and password.) Goshen College does not provide student e-mail lists to public or private entities.

Any student who desires that any or all of the above listed information not be released may contact the registrar’s office or complete the form found at Questions about this policy may be directed to the registrar or the vice president for student life.

Privacy rights of deceased students

FERPA rights of an individual expire with that individual's death. However, it is Goshen College's policy not to release educational records of deceased individuals, unless required to do so by law or authorized to do so by either the executor of the deceased's estate or the deceased's spouse, parents or children. Goshen College may request proof of death.

Withdrawal and refund policy for reservists called to active duty

Any student called to active duty may withdraw from courses up until the last day of the semester. If the withdrawal comes during the first nine weeks of the semester, normal withdrawal and refund policies take effect. If departure comes after the ninth week, the student has the option of withdrawal “W” or incomplete “I”. Options should be discussed with and approved by the course instructor(s). If course withdrawal “W” is pursued, tuition and fees will be refunded on a prorated basis. The official date of withdrawal will be used to calculate the refund. Students receiving financial aid will be subject to refund policies as provided for by the agencies sponsoring the aid. Reservists called to active duty who wish to withdraw from courses must provide the registrar with a copy of their orders.

Leave of absence policy

Students whose enrollment is interrupted by one or two consecutive semesters may apply for a leave of absence at the time of their withdrawal. Formal requests for leaves should be made by completing a Leave of Absence Form, available from the registrar’s office or online. Justifiable reasons for a leave may include medical or financial difficulties or church-related service assignments. Students enrolled at the Chicago Center, Oregon Extension, Washington Community Scholars Center or in BCA study programs are considered to be currently enrolled students at Goshen College.

Students on official leave shall enjoy all the catalog privileges of continuous enrollment. The offices of registrar, student financial aid, SST and residence life will communicate with students on leave in a timely manner to ensure student services commensurate with continuing students.

Students who interrupt enrollment for more than one academic year must apply for readmission through the admission office. All students who take courses elsewhere during their leave also must apply for readmission.