On Jan. 22, 2010, the Goshen College President's Council, led by President Jim Brenneman, decided to allow the college's Athletic Department to play an instrumental version of the national anthem prior to some sports events starting this spring. This page is a resource for news and views about the college's decision. Check back for additions and updates as they develop.
- Mar. 26Goshen College professors present contrasting views on the national anthem
“Two Goshen College faculty members united in their commitment to pacifism, the teachings of the Mennonite church and extending Christian hospitality to others presented conflicting opinions on playing the national anthem before sports events at the college.”Full-text of presentations:
Dr. Joe Liechty and Dr. Kathy Meyer Reimer
- Mar. 23President Brenneman releases statement as national anthem is played on campus
“History was made today at Goshen College as the national anthem was played before two sports events for the first time since intercollegiate athletics began at the college in 1957. The anthem was played before a 1 p.m. baseball team doubleheader against Siena Heights University and softball team doubleheader against St. Joseph's College at 3 p.m.”
- Mar. 22Goshen College prepares to play anthem while campus dialogue continues
“In January, the Goshen College President's Council, led by President Jim Brenneman, decided to allow the college's Athletic Department to play an instrumental version of the national anthem prior to some sporting events beginning this spring. That change in practice will first be implemented at the Tuesday, March 23 home baseball and softball games.”
- Mar. 11Goshen College Alumni Executive Board releases statement on national anthem decision
“During the two days of meetings, March 5 and 6, we heard from faculty and administration concerning various college issues and programs including student life and enrollment. However, much of the time was spent processing the recent decision to play the national anthem before select sports events on campus.”
- Mar. 10Goshen College announces plans for national anthem's implementation
“In January, the Goshen College Presidents Council, led by President Jim Brenneman, decided to allow the college's Athletic Department to play an instrumental version of the national anthem prior to some sporting events beginning this spring. In preparing for that change in practice to be implemented – beginning with the March 23 baseball and softball games – the President's Council recently affirmed the plans of the Athletic Department.”
- Feb. 17National anthem dialogue and implementation to continue at Goshen College
“I am writing today on behalf of the Goshen College Board of Directors and the President's Council to give you an update on the national anthem decision and related action taken last weekend by the board. Last month, with the full support of the President's Council, I led the decision to allow an instrumental version of the national anthem to be played on campus prior to some sporting events beginning this spring. Throughout our 14-month conversation leading up to the decision, we heard from many of you on campus on this issue – some in favor, some opposed.”
- Jan. 22Goshen College will play national anthem before sporting events
“Goshen College announced today it will play an instrumental version of the Star-Spangled Banner before select sports events on campus, followed by prayer. This decision will take effect in March, at the start of the spring sports season and was made after discussion and deliberation over the past year.”
- “Learning to Disagree in Love” is an email exchange between Jim Brenneman and Shane Claiborne, Fall/Winter 2010-11 Goshen College Bulletin (alumni magazine)
- “Being hospitable to a broader definition of peace” by Goshen College Professor of Peace, Justice and Conflict Studies Joe Liechty, Fall/Winter 2009-10 Goshen College Bulletin (alumni magazine)
- “Healing the World, Peace by Peace” by President Jim Brenneman, Fall/Winter 2009-10 Goshen College Bulletin (alumni magazine)
- Brenneman calls for new 'school of thought' at Goshen of positive engagement in the world, January 15.
(Video, podcast, and transcript available)
- Interview with students who have different points of view on the national anthem, Fox & Friends, 4.9.10.
- EDITORIAL: For the Record, The Record, by Emily Taylor, 4.8.10.
- OP-ED: Mennonite College Follows First Playing of National Anthem with St. Francis’ Peace Prayer, Sojourners God's Politics blog, by Sheldon Good ’09, 3.31.10.
- The National Anthem Debate at Goshen College: Dissent and Hospitality, Tradition and Inclusion Journal of Religion, Conflict and Peace, Volume 3. Issue 1, Fall 2009.
- BLOG: Goshen College Gets (Civil) Religion By Steven P. Miller '99, assistant professor of history, 3.25.10.
- EDITORIAL: A moment of change done well Goshen News, 3.25.10.
- Perspective by GC Professor of Education Kathy Meyer Reimer, 3.24.10.
- Perspective by GC Professor of Peace, Justice and Conflict Studies Joe Liechty, 3.24.10.
- Perspective by Alumni Board Member Peter Eash-Scott ’99, 3.12.10.
- Letter to Editor, from GC Faculty, The Goshen College Record, 3.5.10.
- OP-ED: Peace is Patriotic: Anabaptists and the National Anthem, Sojourners God's Politics blog, by Duane Shank, 3.3.10.
- OP-ED: Mennonite College Will Now Play National Anthem Before Sporting Events, Sojourners God's Politics blog, by Sheldon Good ’09, 3.1.10.
- EDITORIAL: Debate with a measure of grace, Mennonite Weekly Review, by Paul Schrag, 2.22.10.
- EDITORIAL: The national anthem and Christ’s lordship, Mennonite Weekly Review, by Celeste Kennel-Shank ’05, 2.3.10.
- EDITORIAL: Playing anthem a worthwhile gesture for GC, The Goshen News, 1.27.10.
- Anthem premieres with peace and passion, Goshen College Record, 3.25.10.
- College Breaks a Tradition of Silence Before Games, New York Times, 3.25.10.
- GC officials host discussion after playing Star-Spangled Banner, Goshen News, 3.25.10.
- Perspectives on the anthem at Goshen College: A day after song was first played at school, pros, cons are outlined, Elkhart Truth, 3.25.10.
- Tears of joy, pain as national anthem plays at Indiana college, USA Today, 3.24.10.
- The world gets a look at Goshen College, Goshen News, 3.24.10.
- It was 'Play Ball' and 'Play the anthem' at GC Tuesday, Goshen News, 3.24.10.
- BLOG: College causes stir playing national anthem for first time, CNN.com, 3.24.10.
- GC plays national anthem before baseball game, Goshen News, 3.23.10.
- Interview with different points of view on the college's decision, MSNBC, 3.23.10.
- Pacifist college begins playing national anthem, Associated Press (picked up by 200+ outlets), 3.23.10.
- VIDEO: Goshen College plays national anthem for the first time, WSBT-TV (CBS affiliate in South Bend, Ind.), 3.23.10.
- VIDEO: Star Spangled Banner rings out at Goshen College, WNDU-TV (NBC affiliate in South Bend, Ind.), 3.23.10.
- Goshen College plays National Anthem as people show dissent, support, The Elkhart Truth, 3.23.10.
- National anthem a 1st for Goshen College, Indianapolis Star, 3.23.10.
- National anthem splits Indiana's Goshen College, USA Today, 3.23.10.
- Goshen to have peace prayer along with anthem at sports games, Mennonite Weekly Review, 3.22.10.
- Goshen College sets anthem policy; Statement of values, prayer to accompany instrumental version of 'The Star-Spangled Banner', The Elkhart Truth, 3.12.10.
- Prayer to follow anthem at Goshen College; Addition reflects Goshen College's commitment to peace, Indianapolis Star, 3.11.10.
- Religion and Government News Roundup, Religion & Ethics Newsweekly (PBS), 2.26.10.
- Playing the National Anthem at a Mennonite College? The American Spectator, 2.25.10.
- Ind. college lifts 116-year ban on national anthem, Associated Press (picked up by 230+ outlets), 2.20.10.
- National anthem will be heard at some Goshen College events, The Elkhart Truth, 1.23.10.
- GC to play national anthem - sometimes, The Goshen News, 1.22.10.
- Facebook: Goshen College (Become a fan!)
- Facebook: For Goshen College Honoring Our Country with the National Anthem
- Facebook: Discussion of Goshen College and the National Anthem
- Facebook: Against Goshen College Playing the National Anthem
- JesusRadicals.com: Resisting the national anthem at Goshen College
- anthemcostories.posterous.com: Stories from National Anthem Conscientious Objectors