Choral and General Music or Instrumental and General Music
Fall Semester 2020 ($3,060)
|Educ 201*||2 cr||Foundations of Education – T,R 2:00-3:15 p.m.|
|Educ 302||2 cr||Exceptional Learners: Secondary – T,R 12:30-1:45 p.m.|
|Educ 321*||2 cr||Curriculum & Instruction I: Middle School – T,R 8:00-10:45 a.m.
Field experience arranged with the instructor
|Mus 330||2 cr||Teaching Secondary School Music – TBD|
Spring Semester 2021 ($3,060)
|Educ 309||2 cr||Educational Psychology – R 7:00-9:30 p.m.|
|Educ 324*||2 cr||Curriculum & Instruction II: High School – T,R 8:00-9:15 a.m.
Field experience arranged with the professor (36 hours)
Fall Semester 2021 ($3,060)
|Educ 410*||6 cr||Transition to Teaching Practicum
Full days for at least 12 weeks, plus additional
time to complete a professional portfolio
Total 18 cr ($9,180)
* denotes course including significant field experience component
- The teaching license will only be valid for middle/junior high and high school choral and general music or instrumental and general music.
- All candidates must have completed a bachelor’s degree in music from a regionally accredited institution.
- Choral Candidates are required to arrange an audition and/or interview with the Goshen College music department faculty to verify: advanced vocal performance; private teaching experience in voice or another instrument; keyboard proficiency; experience and expertise in conducting choral ensembles.
- Instrumental Candidates are required to arrange an audition and/or interview with the Goshen College music department faculty to verify: advanced performance skill in at least one instrument; basic performance skills on brass, woodwind, string and percussion instruments; private teaching experience in at least one instrument; keyboard proficiency; experience and expertise in conducting instrumental ensembles.
- Following the interview/audition the music department will submit a written statement to the education department to indicate either the department’s endorsement of the candidate, an endorsement with specific expectations for increasing skills and/or experience, or a recommendation not to admit the candidate to the Transition to Teaching Program. There will be a $50 audition fee.
Applicants must submit all necessary materials by June 1, 2021 to be considered for preliminary admission.