Information updated Monday, August 28, 2017
Goshen College music ensembles are open by audition to any GC student, regardless of major. Auditions are held before each academic semester. Interested students can sign up for an audition at the Music Audition Table, located outside of the Music Center Main Office beginning Wednesday, August 23, 2017. Be sure and sign up for an audition as soon as possible in order to receive your choice of audition slot!
Below are listed requirements and procedures to audition for each music ensemble. Additional information will be added as it is made available.
Choirs (Chamber Choir, Men’s Chorus, Women’s World Music Choir)
Auditions for GC choral ensembles will be held in MC 215 (Dr. Detwiler’s office). All interested singers should sign up for one audition slot; the sign-up sheet will be on the Music Audition table outside of the Music Center Main Office. Auditions will be held every day from Monday, August 28 through Friday, September 1; please see the table for exact times. PLEASE NOTE: Auditions on Monday and Tuesday will be ONLY for women interested in auditioning for Women’s World Music Choir, but NOT Chamber CHoir.
Singers may be in either Women’s World Music Choir or Men’s Chorus. Singers who are members of Chamber Choir are also members of either Men’s Chorus or Women’s World Music Choir. We aim to make auditions as painless as possible! The goal is to find out where you are in your singing ability and knowledge.
The GC Men’s Chorus will be touring during Spring Break – February 24 – March 4, 2018
The following will be the components of your audition:
- Prepared song: Prepare a short solo to sing a cappella or with piano accompaniment. Examples might be a verse from your favorite hymn, a song you sang at solo/ensemble festival, a worship song that you sang at church, an art song/aria that you learned in your voice lessons, etc. Please bring an extra copy if you have the music.
- Sight-singing: You will sight-sing a short piece, 4-8 measures of music. No preparation necessary.
- Range-check: We will have you sing a few vocal warmups to check your range.
- Tonal memory: You will sing back several patterns of notes that we will play on the piano.
If you are auditioning for Chamber Choir: In addition to the above requirements, please download and print out Alma Redemptoris Mater (Palestrina) and prepare the voice part that you usually sing (ex. Sop 1, Bass 2, etc). Please bring your score to your audition.
***PLEASE NOTE: All students who are music majors/minors or on scholarship with voice as their primary instrument are required to audition for both Men’s/Women’s Choir and Chamber Choir. Pianists should check their specific ensemble requirements.
Students who will be on fall SST should either:
- Audition during the fall auditions for spring choir participation, if on campus OR
- Indicate interest in spring choir participation by email to Profs Detwiler (email@example.com) and Hochstetler (firstname.lastname@example.org) before you depart.
All Music Department ensemble rosters will be posted by 10:00 p.m. Friday, Sept 1. Rehearsals for all choirs will begin on Monday September 4.
Symphony Orchestra Auditions will take place in Prof. Jose Rocha’s studio (MC204). Interested students can sign up for an audition at the Music Audition Table, located outside of the Music Center Main Office.
Auditions will take place Monday, August 28 from 3-5 pm, Tuesday, August 29 from 10 am – noon and 3-5 pm, and Wednesday, August 30 from 2-5 pm. If you are not able to audition during one of the listed slots, please contact Prof. Rocha to schedule an audition.
- Three-octave scale of your choosing (or scale commensurate to the range of your instrument, i.e. winds/brass/string bass)
- Three-minute excerpt of a concerto, sonata, or etude
- Solo on either xylophone, marimba, vibraphone, snare drum, or timpani. Memorization is not required. The solo portion should be three minutes or less.
- Three-octave scale of your choosing.
All new Lavender Jazz players should bring their instruments to MC150 on Wednesday, August 30 at 7:00 p.m. for informal auditions. Be prepared to play a short piece. Lavender Jazz will meet for the first rehearsal on Wednesday, Sept. 6th from 7:00-8:30 p.m. in MC150. All interested players should attend, with your instruments.
New players: please email Lavender Jazz director Chris French (email@example.com) with information about your instrument(s), your experience with jazz, where you are from, and any other information that would be useful.
All-Campus Band is a non-auditioned ensemble open to all members of the Goshen College community — students, faculty, and staff. ACB’s first rehearsal will be Monday, September 11 at 5:30 p.m. in MC 150. Bring your instruments to the first rehearsal! If you are new to the ensemble, please e-mail director Jose Rocha (firstname.lastname@example.org) with information about your instrument(s), your playing experience, and any other information that would be useful.