Culture for Service awardees honored at Goshen College Alumni Weekend 2003; Family Fest, Music Gala and One-Acts highlight weekend
Culture for Service awardees honored at Goshen College Alumni Weekend 2003
GOSHEN, Ind. — Opening a weekend of Goshen College alumni returning to campus, reminiscing and reconnecting will be a celebration of four exceptional alumni: the 2003 Culture for Service awardees. Among the awardees are a surgeon, an artist, a Habitat for Humanity volunteer and a founder of Mennonite Disabilities Committee.
The college will honor these alumni during a public convocation in the Church-Chapel at 10 a.m. Oct. 3 to kick-off the annual Alumni Weekend. Ronald Graber ’52 and Esther Buckwalter Graber ’52 will share their stories during the convocation. With the Grabers, honorees include Arden Schmucker ’53 and Dan Steiner ’65.
The Culture for Service awards, given annually, honor Goshen College graduates whose lives demonstrate a significant commitment to service. Recipients distinguish themselves through exemplary records of service and achievements at home or in their churches, colleges and communities and the larger world.
Director of Alumni Relations Carla Weldy has been preparing for the weekend all year long. “It is energizing to interact with the wonderful alumni of Goshen College, some of whom will travel thousands of miles to reunite with beloved former classmates and professors,” she said.
Other highlights during Alumni/Parent Weekend include:
* The annual Music Gala, a special evening of music featuring baritone alumnus Tony Brown Õ71, music faculty members and music department ensembles — 8 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 4, Sauder Concert Hall. Tickets $10, can be purchased by calling 535-7565.
* The GC Players will perform three one-act comedy plays, “Arabian Nights,” “The Ugly Duckling” and “Captive Audience” at three scheduled curtain times in Umble Center — 8 p.m. Friday, 4 p.m. Saturday and 2 p.m. Sunday. $3
* Young alumni and their families or friends are invited to a new event this year — Family Fest. Family Fest is an opportunity for alumni to gather while enjoying food, fun and swimming. With homemade tostados and sodas for sale, families can swim, play ball or socialize with old friends — Saturday, Oct. 4 from 5:30 to 9 p.m. in the Roman Gingerich Recreation-Fitness Center. Call the Alumni Office at (574) 535-7565 before Sept. 26 to register.
Following is a schedule for Alumni Weekend events. Reporters and photographers are welcome at any of the events.
Friday, Oct. 3
* 8 a.m.-3:30 p.m. — Nurses for the World: Celebrating 50 Years of Nursing Education, Rieth Recital Hall
* 10 a.m. — Culture for Service award recipient convocation, Church-Chapel
* 10:30 a.m. — Culture for Service reception, Church Gathering Room
* Noon — Alumni Golf Scramble, Maplecrest Country Club, Goshen
* 2-4 p.m. — Kulp Hall open house
* 3:30 p.m. — Nursing reception, Wyse Hall
* 5 p.m. — Class of 1953 50th anniversary banquet, Greencroft Senior Center
* 6-9 p.m. — Ceramic Legacy Art Exhibit Reception, Hershberger Art Gallery
* 8 p.m. — One-Act Plays (alumni-directed), Umble Center, $3
Saturday, Oct. 4
* 7:45 a.m. — Fall Classic 3K Walk and 5K Run, Roman Gingerich Recreation-Fitness Center, $12
* 8-9:30 a.m. — Gold Leaf Breakfast, Greencroft Senior Center
* 9:30 a.m. — Receptions for classes of 1933, 1938, 1943, 1948, 1953, Greencroft Senior Center.
* 10 a.m., 12 p.m. — Women’s volleyball, Roman Gingerich Recreation-Fitness Center
* 12:15 p.m. — Goshen Ponderosa Cross-Country Invitational, Roman Gingerich Recreation-Fitness Center
* 1 p.m. — Men’s tennis vs. alumni
* 1 p.m. — Alumni Hymn Sing, Rieth Recital Hall
* 1-3 p.m. — Kulp Hall open house
* 2 p.m. — Men’s Alumni Soccer Exhibition
* 4 p.m. — One-Act Plays, Umble Center, $3
* 5:30-9 p.m. — Family Fest, Roman Gingerich Recreation-Fitness Center
* 6 p.m. — Alumni Banquet, Church Fellowship Hall
* 8 p.m. — Music Gala, featuring baritone alumnus Tony Brown ’71, Sauder Concert Hall, $10
Sunday, Oct. 5
* 9:15 a.m. — Worship service, Church-Chapel.
* 2 p.m. — One-Act Plays, Umble Center, $3
For more information, to order event tickets or to register, call (574) 535-7565.
Editors/photographers: Culture for Service winners will be available for photos at 9:30 a.m. Friday, Oct. 3 in the Church Fellowship hallway. For more information, contact Jodi H. Beyeler at email@example.com or (574) 535-7572.
Tags: Homecoming Weekend