May 17, 2010

Reflections from a Student

Personal Reflection – Ivette

May 12, 2010

Since Latino SST started, I have gained a broader understanding of my own culture and the reasons for many of the behaviors I have seen.  I have become more aware of the issues that we face and have faced within our community.  In Spanish class, for example, I have gained a broader knowledge on the history of some Latin American countries, which explains the reasons for people immigrating to the United States.  All of these historical facts, I was unaware of and I have realized that although I am well aware of many injustices, there is still so much that I have yet to learn.   Through these few experiences, I have come to realize how much we do not get taught in school and how much we are in need of learning.  I think that if we knew all of these facts, we would be more understanding, caring people.

Latino SST is considerably fueling my desire to help the Latino community here in the United States, as well as to educate those who don’t know and make generalizations of people.  I want to make a difference in this world while I am here.  I know that God is the only one who can change it all, but I want to be a vessel for that change.  I know that one person may not be able to change a whole lot, but when one person stands, it encourages others to stand, and it is that community where you make the change.  So like I said in class, when the guest panel speakers came, I want to be a voice for the voiceless.  These people are afraid to raise their voice and like the Latino man in the panel said it, “it’s almost like being mute, while having the capability to talk.”  So I want to give the voiceless a “voice” so that their feelings are expressed.

»

«