Associate Professor of Informatics
BS, UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN GREENBAY, 1982
MA, UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS SPRINGFIELD, 1987
PHD, NOVA SOUTHEASTERN UNIVERSITY, 2004
- Development of iPad applications
- Development of Software for Peace and Social Justice Organizations
- Investigation of Appropriate Data Analytics Methods for Inclusion in MBA programs
- Development of Computer Diet Plans for Disease Risk Reduction
- Use of mobile devices (iPads, iPhones, Androids, …) in education
- Use of technology by nonprofit organizations
- Effective teaching methods for undergraduate and graduate level informatics classes
- Humanitarian free and open source software
- Info 200, Informatics I (Fall 2013)
- Info 230, Programming I (Spring 2013)
- Info 300, Informatics II (Fall 2011)
- Info 330, Programming II (Fall 2012)
- Info 340, Database Design (Fall 2012)
- Info 345, Web Applications (Spring 2013)
- Info 350, Computer Networking (Fall 2013)
- Info 355, Systems Analysis (Fall 2013)
- Info 399, Special Topics – Mobile App Programming (Fall 2011)
- Info 405, Project Management (Spring 2011)
- Info 409, Capstone Project (Fall 2012)
- Cosc 315, Advanced Programming (Spring 2011)
- Cosc 340, Artificial Intelligence (Spring 2013)
- Cosc 360, Operating Systems (Spring 2012)
- Cosc 400, Advanced Project – iPhone App development (Spring 2011)
Lectures & Presentations
Panelist for Session on Computer Literacy: What it means and do today’s college students need a formal course in it? Other panelists: David Surma (moderator), Mary Jo Geise, Robert Beasley, and Jeff Lehman. Midwest Regional Conference 2012
Chair of Session on innovative teaching tools for Computer Science at the Consortium for Computing Sciences in Colleges – Midwest Regional Conference 2011
Bhattacharya, P., Guo, M., Tao, L., Wu, B., Qian, K., and Palmer, K. (2011, July) A Cloud-based Cyberlearning Environment for Introductory Computing Program Education. Poster presented at the IEEE International Conference on Advanced Learning Technologies.
Fu, X., Qian, K., Palmer, K, Peltsverger, B., Campbell, B., Lim, B. and Volt, B. (2010, October) Making failure the mother of success. Paper presented at the ASEE/IEEE Frontiers in Education Conference.
Palmer, E. K. (2009, March). Teaching system administration using Windows PowerShell. Presented at ACM technical symposium on computer science education, Chattanooga, TN. (Page 574 of Conference Proceedings).
Palmer, E. K. & Kent, J. A. (2007, March). Do computer science department websites meet the needs of students? Presented at IEEE Southeastcon, Richmond, VA. (Page 333-337 of Conference Proceedings).
Palmer, E. K. (2010, March). Introducing Open Source Tools Early: A Project Course Between CS1 & CS2 Based on Common Reading Text. Poster Presented at Humanitarian Free and Open Source Software Symposium, Milwaukee, WI.
Fu, X., Qian, K., Peltsverger, B., Palmer, E. K., Xu, C., & Zhang, Y. (2010, March). New Trends in Automated Project Grading for Web Programming Classes. Poster Presented at ACM technical symposium on computer science education, Milwaukee, WI.
Palmer, E. K. (2009, June). How experience in nonprofit organizations influences the instruction of computer science. Presented at SoftHum Workshop on Involving Students in Humanitarian Free and Open Source Software Projects, Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA.
Grants & Fellowships
Wingate University Summer Research Grant (2008) for investigating the potential use of Windows PowerShell in system administation courses.
Icelandic Glaciers (2007) Earthwatch Expedition Grant for collecting geographical data to develop computer models of glacial outwash flood events.
Wingate University Summer Research Grant (2006) for investigating techniques to increase the effectiveness of college websites.
Consortium for Computing Sciences in Colleges
- 2013 Midwest Conference Chair
- 2014 Midwest Student Poster Chair
Association for Computing Machinery
Upsilon Pi Epsilon-Computer Science Honor Society
Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
I have been active in establishing a new worship group (Assembly North) in Goshen.
I also currently serve on Advisory Board for the Computer Programs of North Central Region of Ivy Tech.
- Associate Professor of Informatics
- Assistant Professor of Computer Science
- Chair of Computer Science and Management Information Systems
- Habitat For Humanity International
Oracle Database Administrator, VMS System Administrator
- Faculty-Student Tech Advisory Committee
- Quantitative Literacy Taskforce
- iPad advisory committee