Inspect city neighborhoods for violations and clearly document property conditions and complete inspection reports. Analyze chronic issues within specific neighborhoods using departmental data and historical information. Contribute substantially to the City’s vacant and abandoned housing effort and communicate weekly progress toward goal. Propose solutions and conduct initial inspections of substandard properties, trash, debris, tall grass/weeds, zoning problems, license applications and abandoned vehicles. Work with other City Departments to resolve unsafe living conditions for City residents. Proactively document trouble spots, anticipate questions from the public based on complaint history, and respond to requests for information professionally.
QUALIFICATIONS/ EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- High School diploma or equivalent. College degree in a major related to construction, building inspection, engineering, or environmental health and safety preferred.
- Three or more years of work experience required, preferably in the building construction field and/or inspection work.
- Must have experience with office software including MS Word, Outlook, PowerPoint and Excel.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES PREFERRED
- Ability to investigate unsafe buildings and debris-strewn areas.
- Proactive and passionate about improving the City of South Bend.
- Excellent, systematic, accurate data collection and strong computer abilities (MS Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint).
- Clear written and verbal communication skills. Must be able to communicate results using MS Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work with diverse populations. Must have superior customer service skills.
- Persuasive; able to diffuse contentious situations.
- Willingness to learn, provide feedback on, new software/hardware tools, departmental processes, and systems.
- Knowledge of local codes or willingness to learn.
- Must communicate critical issues to supervisors.
- Use mobile inspection application(s), mobile devices (iPad, smartphone, radio).
- Working knowledge of City or County government a plus.
CERTIFICATES, LICENCE, REGISTRATION:
- A valid Driver’s License is required and the ability to drive daily for this position.
- International Property Maintenance Code certification. All inspectors are required to hold valid certification of the 2012 International Property Maintenance Code within six months of signing this job description and/or hire.
- Asbestos inspection certification is required. New employees will have within one year of hire to obtain certification and existing employees must have certification. All employees must re-certify on a yearly basis and keep track of their state license numbers.
|How to apply
All applications for currently posted positions will be submitted online or at the City of South Bend Office of Human Resources, 227 W. Jefferson Blvd., 12th Floor, South Bend, IN 46601.
Pre-employment drug screen required