Professor of Physical Education
BS, Eastern Mennonite University, 1987
MS, James Madison University, 1994
D ED, University of North Carolina Greensboro, 2003
Memberships & Associations
- American College of Sport Medicine Membership
- ACSM Certified Personal Trainer
- IDEA Fitness Membership
- Indiana Teaching License, Physical Education and Health K-12 (Active, 10 Year Professional License)
- American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance
- Indiana Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance
- National Association for Sport and Physical Education
- Goshen School Health Council
- CPR certified by the American Red Cross
- Elkhart County Childhood Obesity Initiative (Healthy Schools Work Group) (2009-2012)
Fall 2012 Courses
PhEd 236 Tennis
This one credit hour class is open to anyone interested in learning how to play tennis and for current beginners who want to improve skill and game play. Singles and doubles play is included.
CORE 115 Wellness for Life
Wellness for Life is required for all first year students. Students examine the importance of exercise and nutrition in college life. Students assess their own fitness level and analyze dietary intake, then identify strengths and areas for concern. Scientific principles are applied as the student sets goals and develops a personal fitness program.
PhEd 360 Teaching Health Concepts
This class focuses on the development of health content knowledge and pedagogical skills. Students will develop lesson plans linked to academic standards in health and will practice specific teaching strategies in this area. We want to develop meaningful and engaging discussions and activities related to health behavior and behavior change.
- PhEd 230 Racquetball
- PhEd 242 Weight Training
- PhEd 308 Teaching Sport Skills and Strategies
- PhEd 309 Physical Education for Children
- PhEd 315 Kinesiology (Anatomical and Biomechanical analyses)
- PhEd 317 Exercise Physiology
- PhEd 320 Adaptive Physical Activity and Sport
- PhEd 330 Motor Learning
- PhEd 400 Exercise Prescription
- PhEd 410 Senior Seminar
- PhEd 415 School and Community Health
Physical Education K-12 student teaching
Physical Education Teaching internship
Lectures & Presentations
- Greencroft Men’s and Women’s Breakfast: “Keep Moving”, June 2012
- Co-taught LEARN and physical activity class for faculty and staff, Spring 2012
- Goshen Heart Camp presentations (Sociology class, ECCOI, Health Council), Fall 2011
- Maple Scholars presentation: Goshen Heart Camp, June 2011
- MSC Conference for Physical Education Teachers, March 17 -18, 2011
- “Lifetime Fitness: Motivating under-fit and low skilled students in physical education”
- “Assessment options in Secondary Physical Education”
- Guest speaker in multiple classes across campus including Women’s Studies, Coaching and Writing Skills class.
- Higher Education Presentation at IAHPERD, “A Critical Triad: Collaboration between the Physical Education College Supervisor, Cooperating Teacher and the Student Teacher.” Nov, 2008
- Higher Education Presentation at IAHPERD, “An Inquiry into the Use of Motor Learning Concepts by Sport Skill Instructors” Nov. 2006.
Goshen Heart Camp
The Goshen College Physical Education Department, in consultation with multiple community agencies, conducts an annual two week summer camp designed to improve heart health in children. The camp focuses on Elkhart County children ages 8-12 who benefit from additional physical activity and nutrition education and come from homes with limited resources. Each elementary school in Elkhart County is invited to submit one nomination for a student to receive a scholarship to attend the camp free of charge. This program connects Goshen College, faculty, students and community organizations with families and children.
Hobbies & Interests
In my free time, I enjoy personal training, running, biking, lifting weights and woodworking.