Intramural Sand Volleyball Rules
Rules are based on the California Beach Volleyball Association and have been adapted for intramural and recreational interpretation.
- All players must be currently enrolled students for May term or be faculty/staff at Goshen College in order to be eligible. Violators of this rule will not be eligible for post-season play.
- All games will be played on the sand volleyball courts beside the tennis courts.
- There will be four players allowed on the court for each team at any given time.
- A minimum of two players (equal # gender) is needed to start a game.
- If two players from the team’s roster are unavailable by 10 minutes after the scheduled start time, the game is a forfeit.
- You must have 2 men and 2 women on the court, if you are short a team member, you must play short…but always represented by each gender.
- One match will consist of the best 2 out of 3 games.
- Games will be rally scoring to 21 points and teams switch sides before each game.
- The third game will be played to 15 points; each game will have a 2 point cap limit.
- If the non-serving team wins the rally, they score a point and receive possession of the ball to serve.
- There are no timeouts except for injury.
- The team that arrives first will choose to serve or receive at the start of the game. Or you may volley to serve. Captains can decide.
- You may go completely under the net in to your opponent’s court as long as there is no interference with the opponent.
- The ball must cross the net anywhere between, but not over the poles during play.
- The ball can contact any part of the net and go over for play even on a serve.
- The ball can be played out of the designated playing area as long as the team has contacts left.
PLAYING THE BALL
- A team is allowed three successive hits of the ball to return it.
- The ball must be cleanly hit or “popped” off the hand.
- The ball can be played with all parts of the body.
- A touch on the block will be counted as one of the three contacts allowed per team.
- The server may move freely behind the end line but must stand behind the line to serve.
- There is no player contact allowed with the net at any time.
- Substitutions may be requested when the ball is out of play and before the next serve.
- Please record your scores on the clipboard provided by the Intramural Staff. I will have a clipboard there with the league schedule, please highlight the winning team for each game.
- Volleyballs and equipment will be provided by Intramural Staff prior to the game and picked up following the last game of the night. If the volleyballs are stolen, they wonʼt be replaced this season and you will need to find your own outdoor volleyballs to play with. Please pick up trash from the volleyball courts after play.
- Lightening is very dangerous, please use good judgment and leave the playing area if you hear thunder and/or see lightning, even if it is off in the distance!
- In the event of inclement weather you will need to reschedule the game with the other captain or it will be counted as a double forfeit. You may scheduled these games anytime the next day prior to 5pm. Email firstname.lastname@example.org the result of this make up game.
- Tie Breakers would be as follows:
Head to Head