Transition to Teaching Checklist
- Submit application, along with $25 application fee.
- Resume – Please include a resume which highlights any educational work you have performed.
- Reference forms – Request that three work supervisors and/or professors (excluding relatives) complete these evaluations. Whenever possible include references from those who have observed you working with children or youth. Please return references to: Education Department, 1700 S. Main St. Goshen, IN 46526.
- Certified Background Check – Create an account with Certified Background by following instructions on the linked document. If you work for a school and have an extended background check already on file, you may be able to use that document. Contact the Education Department administrative assistant at (574) 535-7440 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Submit official transcripts for your baccalaureate or graduate programs and a record of relevant work experience. A minimum GPA of 3.0 is required unless you have worked in schools for 5 or more years, in which case 2.5 is acceptable. Transcripts will be reviewed for content preparation prior to admission. Elementary education candidates must have a course history covering a wide body of knowledge as documentation of appropriate content knowledge. Secondary candidates must have a degree in the subject they want to teach. Any deficits will be reported to the candidate and must be completed before the beginning of the second semester of the program, in addition to the courses required by the program. Such coursework may be completed at Goshen College or at another institution with prior approval by the licensing adviser upon review of that institution’s course description.
- Submit a one-page, typed statement discussing what you believe to be the most important elements of effective teaching and learning. Include how your work and life experiences have shaped these beliefs and how those experiences have prepared you for teaching; also discuss ways in which you want to grow as a teacher.
- Complete Appropriate Skills Tests
- All candidates must pass the Pearson Core Academic Skills Assessment (CASA) or provide evidence of a composite SAT score of 1100 or above or ACT composite score of 24 or above. Minimum CASA scores required by Goshen College and the Indiana Department of Education are: Reading – 220; Writing – 220; Mathematics – 220. Test registration information can be found at: www.in.nesinc.com.
- All candidates must pass the appropriate Pearson content area assessment prior to student teaching. Test registration information can be found at: www.in.nesinc.com. For more information click here.
In certain circumstances, there may be alternate ways to earn credit toward program completion and licensure. Credits from other institutions may transfer if taken at an accredited institution of higher education for a grade of C or better. Credit by exam, such as College Level Examination Program (CLEP), and credit for prior learning (using the Council for Adult and Experiential Learning’s assessment system) may be possible as well. Decisions will be made on a case-by-case basis; please contact the Education Department for additional information.
After all admission materials listed above are received, contact the Teacher Education Office in June to schedule a 30-minute interview with a panel of professional educators. Following the interview, you will be allotted 15 minutes to compose an impromptu essay on a topic assigned at that time.
To be accepted into the Fall 2014 Transition to Teaching program, all materials must be submitted by May 15, 2014. Prospective TtT candidates who do not meet this deadline will need to look toward enrollment in the fall of 2015.
Please address all inquiries and admission materials to:
Teacher Education Office
1700 S Main St
Goshen, IN 45626
Fax: (574) 535-7445