Welcome Baskets provide a way for international students new to Goshen College to connect to a local congregation.
Goshen College asks the church to provide a number of items for the student, and asks the student to make a visit to the church. This project can be undertaken by the whole congregation or a group within it like a Sunday school class, sewing circle, hospitality committee, or youth group.
The welcome basket contents list is based on what is hard to transport in a suitcase, what is hard to find outside the US, and what will help students feel more at ease as they find their way through jet lag and orientation. We ask that all items for the baskets be new.
To learn more about Welcome Baskets or to be matched with a student, please contact the Church Relations office at email@example.com or 574-535-7119 by July 15. Finished baskets should be dropped off at the Admission office by Aug. 19.
Welcome Basket contents
- Single-bed comforter
- 80” single bed sheet set, washed and ready to use (also called “extra long twin” or “dorm XL”; includes a fitted sheet, flat sheet and one pillow case)
- Standard size pillow
- Bath towel and hand towel
- Reading lamp and light bulb
- 10-15 clothes hangers
- Alarm clock (and battery, if not plug-in variety)
- Welcome note to the student from the congregation or the group within the congregation that prepared the basket (all of our international students are proficient in English)
- Information about your congregation (ex/brochure, web address, service times)
- Name, phone and email of a contact person from the church to help arrange the student’s visit
- All packed in a laundry basket (items above may be removed from packaging as helpful)