SALT RESIDENT ASSISTANT JOB DESCRIPTION
- To be eligible for the position you must have successfully completed 4 semesters of full-time college work.
- Have a cumulative GPA no lower than 2.5
- Understand and support the Goshen College Commitment to Community Standards.
- Possess cultural competencies and support the mission of the Multicultural Affairs Office.
A. Provide leadership for the residence hall unit.
- Arrive early at the beginning of the SALT program to welcome floor members, provide supervision, and check people into rooms.
- Stay until floor members have gone at the end of the 3 weeks to say good-bye, provide supervision, and check people out of rooms.
- Develop programs and activities with floor members that contribute to social, spiritual, and intellectual growth.
- Call and lead floor meetings as necessary.
- Transmit information and policy from the Student Life office to floor members.
- Articulate, interpret and enforce college policies. Report violations to your RD and work cooperatively with him/her to deal effectively with the violations.
- Report problems with the physical facilities and help to maintain an attractive and safe environment.
B. Establish relationships with residents of your unit.
- E-mail SALT participants in early June to welcome them and begin to orient them before they arrive.
- Learn to know each floor member.
- Be a friend, listener, and advocate.
- Assist in identification and referral of students to appropriate campus resources.
- Be a role model in both your on-campus and off-campus behavior.
C. Participate in staff in-service training and team-building activities.
- Attend the residence hall staff orientation prior to the arrival of the other students on campus.
- Participate in weekly individual and/or group meetings with your RD.
- Establish and maintain regular contact with other staff persons in your residence hall to develop a leadership team.
- Participate in any other SALT in-service training sessions that may be scheduled