- By the start of the Fall semester, students who have completed 2 years since high school graduation are eligible to apply.
- Each group should study “Expectations for Small Group Living.”
- The Student Life Office must receive applications by March 13, 2013.
- Selections are made on the basis of the group’s application and capacity. The director of residence life and the resident director team review each application and make assignments.
- Selections for small group housing units will be announced on or before March 22, 2013.
- Groups must maintain minimum capacity to retain the housing unit. If a group falls below minimum capacity each group member may forfeit the deposit money.
- House units and capacity
- Deadline for finding replacement of a group member for spring semester is December 1st.
- The residence life team reserves the right to deny any or all applications for small group housing in order to maintain essentially full occupancy in campus student halls.
- Contact the Student Life office if you have any questions concerning small group housing applications.
- If not studying on campus for spring semester please follow these procedures.
It is recommended that you print out this PDF to guide you through the application process. Your group application is complete when your group completes the following steps:
- As a group, prepare a video 8-12 minutes (or less) that incorporates and addresses the following elements:
- Group History: Describe how your small group was formed.
- Group Goals:Identify the group’s goals for the next year together. The goals should also include an implementation plan for each goal. Group goals should reflect:
- Intentionality of community life within GC’s core values (e.g. how will you demonstrate your commitment to live in community?)
- Goals for decision-making and managing interpersonal conflict within the group
- Summarize your group’s response to the Standards in the past and how your group would deal with potential violations next year.
- Thoughtful contribution to the campus community (e.g. how will your SGH unit make campus a better place?)
- Efforts at developing purpose and identity as it relates to campus life (e.g. supporting each other academic or co-curricular goals, how will you encourage each others personal growth, etc.)
- Each group is responsible for cleaning the house together. Be sure to include your group’s action plan for cleaning (who cleans when and what).
- Upload video to Givit.com and share with email@example.com
- Group Standards Statement – Please review and discuss the Community Standards together. Note: Once groups are awarded a house, they will be issued a SGH contract. Included with this contract will be statement to be signed by each member indicating his or her acceptance of and commitment to the Community Standards. In addition, please turn in the individual statements made by those in your group who are not on campus currently (on SST, BCA, transferring from another school, etc) Check with our office (AD14) to see if they have already been submitted.
SGH Deposit Information
Room deposit receipt of $200 per member (non-refundable after units have been assigned; this deposit will then be held as a damage deposit until after the end of school year. If the condition of the house is found to be acceptable after checkout, the damage deposit will be refunded to you.) https://www.goshen.edu/services/Housing_Deposits
Fill out and submit online the “Small Group Housing Application.” (one per group)