Student Handbook – Policies
Athletics Insurance Policy
- All Athletes must carry insurance, either the Goshen College student insurance package or a family insurance.
- The Athletic Department carries a secondary policy. This athletic insurance coverage is designed to cover expenses not covered by the primary insurance carrier, at no additional expense to the student or family.
- The college carries an additional “Catastrophic Athletic Injury Insurance” through the NAIA, that covers all costs above $25,000. This catastrophic policy covers ONLY intercollegiate athletics.
- An athlete may elect to use the Goshen College student health plan or their own family insurance as the primary carrier for an athletic injury. It is the responsibility of the athlete to make sure that the family policy will cover any intercollegiate athletic related injury. When an athlete chooses to use their own policy, it is imperative that they notify the Goshen College athletic department and provide all necessary billing and payment information.
- If you choose a medical provider outside of the secondary athletic network, know that you will incur additional costs.
- Note that athletes using their own or family insurance take all responsibility for notifying their insurance company and obtaining any necessary (pre)certification prior to receiving treatment for injuries.
When an injury happens
- All injuries must be reported to the coach and athletic trainer immediately!
- The athletic trainer will complete the “Injury Report Form” that states the date, description or the injury, practice or game and treatment. This is kept in the athletic trainers file.
- All insurance claims must be filed immediately. If the student does not carry the Goshen College policy, they must provide their own insurance information at the time of injury.
- All insurance information must be on file in the Goshen College Health Center prior to participation in athletics at Goshen College.