Professor of Nursing
BSN, Goshen College, 1982
MSN, Oral Roberts University, 1986
PHD, Loyola University Chicago, 2004
Ethnic Identity Formation and Caring Practices among Latino Nursing Graduates. Invited presentation at Goshen College Lunch & Learn series, 2011.
Parkview Professional Development Fair, Ft. Wayne, IN: Poster presentation – The Clinical Nurse Leader, May 4 & 6, 2010.
Mennonite Nurses Association, National Health Reform, May 3, 2010.
Seniors for Peace: Implications of health care reform on health professionals, March, 2010.
Clinical Outcomes Management: An Exemplar Syllabus. Podium presentation at CNL National Conference, New Orleans, LA, Jan. 30, 2009.
Effects of Coping Skills Training Program on Asthma Self-Efficacy, Quality of Life, Social Support, and Asthma Diary Parameters Among Teens with Asthma. Poster Presentation. Loyola University School of Nursing Ruth K. Palmer Research Symposium, Chicago, Illinois.
US Dept. of Health & Human Services, Health Resources and Services Administration, Nurse Traineeship Grant, 2009 and 2010.
Goshen Health System Community Benefit Fund for graduate student scholarships, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012.
Velsor-Friedrich, B., & Srof, B. (2012). Adolescent asthma management. Current Pediatrics Reviews. Doi 1573-3963/12.
Srof, B., Taboas, P., Velsor-Friedrich, B. (2011). A critical review of adolescent asthma self-management programs. Adolescent asthma education programs for teens: Review and Summary. Journal of Pediatric Health Care. [In press] doi 10.1016/j.pedhc.2011.03.010.
Srof, B., Velsor-Friedrich, B., & Penckofer, S. (2011). The effects of coping skills training among teens with asthma. Western Journal of Nursing Research. [In press]. Doi 10.1177/0193945911406290.
Srof, B. & Velsor-Friedrich, B. (2006). Health Promotion in Adolescents: A Review of
Pender’s Health Promotion Model. Nursing Science Quarterly, 19 (4), 366-373.
Velsor-Friedrich, B., & Srof, B. (2005). Asthma management in adolescents: Clinical update. International Review of Asthma, 7 (2).
Velsor-Friedrich, B., Pigott, T., & Srof, B. (2005). A practitioner based asthma intervention program with African-American inner-city school children. Journal of Pediatric Health Care, 19 (3), 163-171.
Velsor-Friedrich, B., Pigott, T., Srof, B., & Froman, R. (2005). The asthma belief survey: Development and testing. Journal of Nursing Measurement, 12 (1), 7-19.
Velsor-Friedrich, B., & Srof, B. (2000). Asthma self-management programs for children part II: Empiric evaluation of programs and recommendations. Journal of Child and Family Nursing, 3 (3), 173-190.
Velsor-Friedrich, B., & Srof, B. (2000). Asthma self-management programs for children. Part I: Description of the programs. Journal of Child and Family Nursing, 3(2), 85-97.
Srof, B. (Spring, 2003). Infertility in the family. Vision: A Journal for Church and Theology, 4 (1), 27-32.
|Indiana Deans and Directors in Nursing|
|Mennonite Healthcare Fellowship|
|Indiana Center for Nursing|
|National League for Nursing|
|National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties|
|Transcultural Nursing Society|
|Nu Omicron Chapter of Sigma Theta Tau|
|American Nurses Association, Indiana State Nurses Association|
I am currently involved in a qualitative research study titled, The Experience of Ethnic Identity Formation and Subsequent Caring Practices Among Latino Nursing Student.
My research background is in quantitative research related to The Effects of Coping Skills Training on Asthma Related Outcome Variables Among Teens With Asthma.
Key constructs of research interest include: coping, self-efficacy, and health promotion
- Nurs 309 Healthcare Ethics (Undergraduate)
- Students actively reflect on ethical issues that are present in health care for practitioners and consumers. The focus is on the process of ethical inquiry rather than decision outcomes. In the process of analyzing bioethical issues, students are introduced to ethical theory and modes of ethical analysis informed by the Christian faith. (Syllabus)
- Nurs 500 Foundations for Leadership (Graduate)
- Examines the theoretical principles and norms for practice for advanced practice nursing and advanced nursing practice. Content includes scope of practice, taking on the role of leader within the identified role, standards & competencies, public policy, legal issues, therapeutic use of self, and cultural competence. (Syllabus)
- Nurs 510 Healthcare Ethics (Graduate)
- The student is provided with frameworks for ethical decision-making based on theory and opportunities for the development of reflective moral thinking. The student learns to utilize critical thinking as a basis for ethical reasoning. The dynamics of the healthcare professionals’ roles are studied in view of pertinent ethical dilemmas. The student is challenged to examine personal and professional values in the context of growing health care disparities impacting the local and world community. (Syllabus)
- Nurs 604: Community Health Nursing (Graduate)
- The focus of this course is health in the community. Content germane to this course includes a process of community assessment, program planning, implementation and evaluation. Knowledge of basic epidemiology, communicable disease surveillance,survey data and cultural assessment contribute to a thorough knowledge of thecommunity. Attention will be given to issues of social justice for vulnerable populations. (Syllabus)
Community Health Nursing (undergraduate), Pediatric Nursing (undergraduate), Physical Assessment (undergraduate)
Honors & Awards
- 2010-2011 (fall)
- Goshen College Sabbatical Leave
- Center for Intercultural Teaching & Learning, Faculty Research Fellowship
- Goshen College Sabbatical Leave
- Alpha Sigma Nu, Inductee
- Loyola University Chicago, Graduate Research Assistant
- Goshen College, Tenure
- Oral Roberts University, Outstanding Research Thesis Award
- Oral Roberts University, Graduate Fellowship
Leadership of Study Service Term Units
- In the fall semester, 1996, I was the Study Service Term leader for a group of 22 Goshen College students in Szechuan Province, China.
Hobbies & Interests
My hobbies and interests include traveling, reading, biking, cooking, and time with family.
2010 to 2012 Board Member for the Elkhart County Board of Health
2010-2011 Member of the Community Life Commission, College Mennonite Church
2011 Classroom Coordinator for the Weavings Sunday School Class, College Mennonite Church
Goshen College, 1988 to present
Loyola University Chicago, 1998-1999
Riley Hospital for Children, Indiana University Hospitals,
Oral Roberts University, Maua Nursing Program, Meru Kenya,
Oral Roberts University, City of Faith Hospital, 1982-1986